Time to Sell Tractor?

/ Time to Sell Tractor?
We have had bad winters where we had 4 or 5 days below freezing.. all day. We also can have Christmas with 70 degrees and shorts.

My metal building has insulation,,, I'm not saying it wont freeze in there, but it would be warmer than outside.

/ Time to Sell Tractor?
Is that the Syncro Shuttle transmission, or the GST transmission?
If its the GST, you don't need to use the clutch to shift gears as it has a automatic wet clutch inside the transmission in addition to the foot operated dry clutch (I still use the dry clutch on ourt L3830GST, but that's a habit from driving gear tractors).

Aaron Z

I don't have GST

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #43  
We have had bad winters where we had 4 or 5 days below freezing.. all day. We also can have Christmas with 70 degrees and shorts.

My metal building has insulation,,, I'm not saying it wont freeze in there, but it would be warmer than outside.

I expect you would be OK with just water.. total out of pocket cost, about $10 for the fill valve, and about an hour or less of labor. If you wanted to put some methanol in thier ( Windshield washer fluid would work) you can add some, but now you will need a cheap pump. The $7 dollar one from home depot will work.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #44  
I expect you would be OK with just water.. total out of pocket cost, about $10 for the fill valve, and about an hour or less of labor. If you wanted to put some methanol in thier ( Windshield washer fluid would work) you can add some, but now you will need a cheap pump. The $7 dollar one from home depot will work.

Yeah, the valve is about $10. But for tires as large as that, I would look at the pump. I used my dehumidifier bucket on top of a ladder and poured in 10 gallons of washer fluid into each tire, but I've only got a BX. It still took me about 45 minutes per wheel and lots of burps. A pump would be nice on tires that big and it might not require as many burps because the pump might help combat the pressure that accumulates in the tire as the liquid fills in.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #45  
Here is what I have. Ag tires. outside rear to outside rear is 6ft.

Looking at your photo, it looks like you can go even wider at the rear by re-configuring your wheel
flange/wheel setup.

If you add water to your tires, don't forget a rust inhibitor.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #46  

Yeah, the valve is about $10. But for tires as large as that, I would look at the pump. I used my dehumidifier bucket on top of a ladder and poured in 10 gallons of washer fluid into each tire, but I've only got a BX. It still took me about 45 minutes per wheel and lots of burps. A pump would be nice on tires that big and it might not require as many burps because the pump might help combat the pressure that accumulates in the tire as the liquid fills in.
Fill adapters usually have an air bleed. But with water line pressure burping works fine even if they dont. If its really needed an anti freezing additive can go in first -- so no pump needed for the small amt that might be required to lower the FP to the minimum avg ~ 3day day/nite temp. I use water in central VA [tractor stored outside] and know from experience that a little frozen crust inside the tire is no problem because it breaks up easily when the tractor moves. Its into January before I start to get a shell that doesnt break readily when I push on the tire sidewall. ... And thats after seeing lots of nites in the teens in December.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #48  
The larger question is, do you want to do the job yourself? Or do you just want have it done before you and the family move in?
Is it the trip or the end you're looking for?

Keeping tractor equals no end..........until the real end.
Selling the tractor and hiring out the work equals........eh what do I now.

No one can or should expect to become even reasonably competent at anything after just 25 hours.

Last edited:
   / Time to Sell Tractor? #49  
Yup. That's what I meant with the burps. Many times, especially with only 6 feet of head pressure.
You dont need to burp it if theres an air bleed. The air escapes as the water enters.
larry

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #50  
You dont need to burp it if theres an air bleed. The air escapes as the water enters.
larry
My air bleed is spring loaded and spits out fluid if I open it with any fluid behind it at all.