Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #1  

KubotaTerry

Tractor
Kubota L3400
Normally we get the 'normal' size bales of hay (about 70 or 80 lbs), but the wife shows up this time with a dozen 3 x 3 x 8 foot, 1000 lb bales. Apparently the rains we had in Colorado this year have been hard on the hay crop and the small ones are rare. I have an L3400 with an LA463 loader on the front and a box blade on the rear. No forks or anything that would make moving these large bales of hay possible. I managed to rig some "forks" out of 2 x 12" lumber attached to the loader bucket. Then if we shoved the bales off the flat bed onto the ground and positioned the loader, we could roll the bales onto the improvised forks. But that was just the start of the battle. The L3400 didn't want to lift the 1000 lb bales. It would just barely lift them a little bit, then by curling the bucket back so the bale tilted back against the bucket, I was able to lift it a few feet off the ground. Just barely enough to allow stacking them two high. I had to have someone stand on the back of the box blade to keep the back wheels on the ground (I don't have wheel weights). I managed to get all the hay put away, but it was a battle. If we ever decide to purchase the big bales again, I would like to get set up better for dealing with them.
Looking at the specs on the LA463 loader, I can see why it was having trouble lifting the bales. It would be OK lifting that much in the bucket, but when the load is further out like I had it, the lifting capability drops off fast. Curling the load in toward the tractor helped, but it was still a struggle.
So what can be done? I see there are cheap fork attachements that just attach to the bucket, but that is going to leave me in the same situation with the lift limit. For more money, there seems to be fork attachments that take the place of the bucket. That would probably work since it would get the load in close to the tractor and allow it to lift the load and maybe even keep the rear wheels on the ground. Are these things universal? Is there one that could mount on the LA463 loader?
How do you guys move the big bales?

Terry

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #2  
Buy a bigger machine. Your FEL is good for 850lbs or so.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #3  
I own a L3400 DT and would have to agree with murphy1244. Besides FEL weight cap, tractor is to light to be messing with 1000 lbs bales on a constant basis. Especially if your ground is uneven and tires are not loaded with weight added to 3 point hitch( ballast/attachment/etc). :(

Here a good thread on how to check and slightly bump up your L3400 fel limits within reasonably specs. I 'am shareing this info with you in case you want to check your loaders hydro rate. Not as a solution to the 1000 lb bale scenario. Done it to mine with TBN members help. Just my :2cents:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/128908-bump-up-lift-capacity-l3400.html

Keep playing "SAFE" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boone

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #4  
If you do what Bulls thinking make sure to load the 3 point with 800lbs or so :2cents:

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400
Thanks Murph and Bull. I checked the owners manual for the LA463 loader, and at the bucket center it is rated for a tad over 1000 lbs. But as the load gets further out, it runs out of lift fast. So if I could replace the bucket with forks, I think I could lift it. It is on the edge to be sure, but I am moving a fairly short distance over pretty level ground, so I think it would be OK. Also, I think 1000 lbs is on the heavy side for these 3x3x8 bales. I think they usually come in closer to 800 lbs. I guess I just got 'lucky' getting 1000 lb ones.
But it looks like maybe the LA463 isn't equiped with the universal quick attach. Without that, is it possible to replace the bucket with forks? How much work is involved to swap back and forth? I only would do it once or twice a year.

Terry

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #6  
you prolly need to trade tractors if your going tobe handling the big square bales all the time.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #7  
If upgrading to a larger tractor is out, consider a 3 point bale fork capable of handling the bales. I am sure it will handle 1000 lbs and would be much safer. Try to find one with 3 or 4 shorter spears as compared to 2 long ones. If designed right and your tractor has enough 3 point reach, you still may be able to stack those bales.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #8  
Take 4 pins out to change bucket

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #9  
Drop the bucket and use a hay spike ( 2,3 spikes) and put 1000 lbs on the 3 pt hitch.

Or like said above, just get a bale spike for the 3 pt. It'll handle it.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #10  
Clearly a MX5100 would make for a nice replacement but buying a new tractor isn't always an option. So assuming you have a QA set up I would get a bale spear that will attach to the tractor WITH OUT using the QA. The QA will reduce your lifting capacity. Yes it would be a pain to remove but it'll give you extra lifting, something you need. I'm assuming that you don't do this too often so it shouldn't be too bad. Once you have them stacked you can just push them off and use a 3pt bale spear to move them where you want (since you'll be doing that more often). Secondly ditch the BB and make yourself a 3pt weight. I made one for cheap using a 55 gallon drum and some bags of cement. I've seen people make a simple wooden box with a bar through the center for the lower links and a couple of pieces of angle with a hole in them for the upper link. Simply fill it with cement and remove the wooden box once set up. Get the right amount of weight on the rear.