almost no brakes on bx25

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #11  
Like RaydaKub, I find that I really don't use the brake much except for locking them on when parking, as the HST does all the braking I normally need. That was why I couldn't understand why I suddenly had hardly any brakes, and the pedal went almost to the floor. It seemed like it was quite sudden, but perhaps it had been getting worse and I just never really noticed.

winedown, unless yours has already been adjusted to it's limit you should be able to adjust and have your brakes back. It's hard to believe the brakes would already need changing unless it was used with the brakes locked or something. Good luck, I hope that's all it is!

/ almost no brakes on bx25
Thanks for all the input.

Turned out to be a lot of dead grass jambed up by the brake linkage and a rock underneath all the grass that could have caused some of the problem. Then I adjusted the RH turnbuckle(there is only the one) and was able to get the free play in the pedal back to 1 1/4". Put it all back together. Started it up and had brakes. Even if I don't use them it just feels better knowing that I can, especially on the steep hillsides I have to mow.
Now I can concentrate on learning how to use the backhoe and loader. Thanks, everyone.

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #14  
Great to hear! :thumbsup:

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #15  
Excellent fix- good thing you didn't give it to the dealer. BTW, for the pooster who asked, slowing to stop via the HST is how it's supposed to work. No harm will come to the HST by doing this. Worry if/when it does not come to a stop on release of the pedal, within reason, not coming down Everest.

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #16  
Excellent fix- good thing you didn't give it to the dealer. BTW, for the pooster who asked, slowing to stop via the HST is how it's supposed to work. No harm will come to the HST by doing this. Worry if/when it does not come to a stop on release of the pedal, within reason, not coming down Everest.

I was pretty sure that was the case, but it doesn't hurt to ask. So...my brake won't hold on a 25 degree hill, but it holds on level ground just fine. But I guess in the end, I don't care...who needs a brake?

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #17  
Default Parking Brake problem on my new BX25D

I've not had a chance to use my new backhoe very much since I bought it a month ago......I was fitting my new trailer to my "new" dump truck today and was pulling the tractor up on the trailer both forwards and backwards to check tongue weight and trailer levelness.....when I tried to disengage the parking brake, it wouldn't release when I tapped the brake pedal.....I climbed under there and ended up taking the BXpanded belly plate off (like the easy latches that hold that on) so I could see how the brake lock pedal interacts with the brake pedal...under the floor where the brake pedal is, was a piece of metal with notches on it that I think are supposed to lock onto a plate on the brake pedal....looked like it was out of alignment, but I'm not sure...I was able to slide it sideways so that the brake pedal jumped back up to the off position....I was loosing daylight fast and didn't take time to get a pic of it......does anyone here have a pic of how those parts are supposed to contact each other?.....here's a pic of my set-up...I bought DOT grade chains with ratchet binders to use to cinch it all down before I start hauling it on the road.....I'm not really wanting to use the straps they used to deliver it to me with....I may need to cut my chains short again to tighten the backhoe end down or buy some of those brackets that go under the stabilizer......

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #18  
30 hours?? Must be a bear of a job.

(posted from an unnamed brand of tablet)

The labor stems from using a wet disk brake buried deep in the right rear axle assembly. An external drum or disk brake would require much less labor. From what I can tell from the parts breakdown (I don't have the service manual) replacing the brake is a PITA. Have to drain the the transmission, remove right rear wheel, right rear axle, right axle case, now you finally get access to the brake assembly. No way this is a 30 hour job in a shop with all the right tools even if you had to drop the entire transmission. I'd say an experienced mechanic could do it under 3 hours. Book labor has gotten to be such a ripoff.

Since the brake wearing out or failing is one of the long standing complaints for the BX, it would be a major improvement to go to an external serviceable parking brake attached to the axle or wheel hub.

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #19  
Sometimes those book labors include, having a 3 course meal, breaks every 15 minutes, nap time, and the drive to the shop to continue the work. Sometimes it includes a paid holiday. :)

So with that being said; 30 hours isn't too far off.

j/k

/ almost no brakes on bx25 #20  
The labor stems from using a wet disk brake buried deep in the right rear axle assembly. An external drum or disk brake would require much less labor. From what I can tell from the parts breakdown (I don't have the service manual) replacing the brake is a PITA. Have to drain the the transmission, remove right rear wheel, right rear axle, right axle case, now you finally get access to the brake assembly. No way this is a 30 hour job in a shop with all the right tools even if you had to drop the entire transmission. I'd say an experienced mechanic could do it under 3 hours. Book labor has gotten to be such a ripoff.

Since the brake wearing out or failing is one of the long standing complaints for the BX, it would be a major improvement to go to an external serviceable parking brake attached to the axle or wheel hub.

Have never heard that before about BX's. I have 1500 hrs on my 2011 model and have never adjusted anything and the brakes are the same as when new. Up until 3 yars ago I was working and parking on a lot of hill side work. I don't have time to do that kind of research either as it never came up.

Ron