RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
I have been thinking of removing the blades on the MMM to sharpen them with a bench grinder. The manual calls for 72-87 ft-lbs of torque when putting the blades back on. Do I need to get a torque wrench to make sure that the blades get back on within the right range. Would it be ok to go ahead and use an impact wrench to put them back on even if this put more torque than what the manual calls for. Just trying to figure out what tools I will need, the proper way to do it, and would like to hear from those with experience removing and putting blades back on.

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #2  
I use my impact gun to remove them, and my torque wrench to tighten them.

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #3  
I would be afraid of an impact wrench on them. You can screw up (pardon the pun) a lot of stuff in a hurry with an impact wrench.

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #4  
Use grease on the threads and if you are not comfortable with an impact wrench to tighten the bolts then use a torque wrench. You can never go wrong using a torque wrench. It is the best way to get it right. Why take a chance on messing up an expensive piece of equipment. Guys that use an impact wrench a lot develop a feel for them. If you are one of those guys then I say go for it. Otherwise, a torque wrench is your best friend.

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #5  
I would use a quality torque wrench to check the bolts. I sharpen my blades with a file.

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #6  
I have been thinking of removing the blades on the MMM to sharpen them with a bench grinder. The manual calls for 72-87 ft-lbs of torque when putting the blades back on. Do I need to get a torque wrench to make sure that the blades get back on within the right range. Would it be ok to go ahead and use an impact wrench to put them back on even if this put more torque than what the manual calls for. Just trying to figure out what tools I will need, the proper way to do it, and would like to hear from those with experience removing and putting blades back on.

Well I've always used an impact wrench but it sounds like I'm in the minority.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #8  
Or you can leave the blades on and use a grinder or sander or file to sharpen them in place.

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install #9  
I've used socket ratchet driver, air impact wrench and now use my battery operated drill/driver. Have a torque wrench in the tool box but haven't used it, yet.
Be sure and hand thread them as far as possible first to ensure the threads are aligned then torque it down with whatever you have but don't try to break it or use a torque wrench or battery drill/driver.

/ RCK 60 MMM blade removal/install
I matched the socket to the bolt on the blade to be 1 3/16 in. It seems to fit good but it could be possible that it is metric as well. Seems 1 3/16 socket is large for a 1/2 in drive but I did see one online at autozone. Would a 1/2 in drive work well with a 1 3/16 socket? Does the parts manual or the workshop manual tell the sizes of threads and bolts on the machine. Would be nice to know the size prior to working on the tractor.