Chains Recommendations for tire chains on a BX?

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I have a BX25D with 26x12x12 R4s and back blade installed. Have 2in wheel spacers on the rears. Figuring I only need chains on rear. Driveway is steep and firmly packed gravel and about 800ft long. I am looking for suggestions on exactly what chains you all would recommend and why. We don't usually every get more than a foot of snow... 6 to 8in more likely. Usually fairly heavy. No such thing as powder around here. I don't figure to use them more than once or twice a year though but my neighbors are all getting too old to help maintain and I want to be sure to keep the road accessible as possible for them especially in case of an emergency.

Got my eye on these for $76... 26x12.00-12 2-Link V-Bar Reinforced ATV Tire Chains

or these for $93... 26x12.00-12 Twist Link 2 Link

Don't understand the difference in price. Maybe the twist link style is heavier duty?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #2  
I bought chains for my BX-25 from the Kubota dealer. I view chains as money in the bank. If you ever need em, they are far cheaper than a tow truck. Here's a pic of my B3030. The first and only time I had to chain up the fronts as well as the backs, was when we got clobbered with 30" in one storm last year.
I forgot to mention: In the land of snow and ice, the man with chains for his tractor is king!

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 Bliz 2-13 #2EM.JPG
    Kubota B3030 Bliz 2-13 #2EM.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:
   / Recommendations for tire chains on a BX?
I bought chains for my BX-25 from the Kubota dealer. I view chains as money in the bank. If you ever need em, they are far cheaper than a tow truck. Here's a pic of my B3030. The first and only time I had to chain up the fronts as well as the backs, was when we got clobbered with 30" in one storm last year.
Nice pic! Looks like your front chains have nice tight spacing but the rears have a bit of gap. Did that matter at all? I will be on steep slope and I am worried about slipping sideways if the chain is not always in contact with the ground.

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #4  
I'd recommend a first winter without chains and then decide. You'll probably never need them with FEL on front and counter weight (box blade) on the back.
I slid down a steep hill on wet grass on one of my tractors and for years wouldn't bring my Kubota tractors out in the snow. One year being bored I got one of my BXs out that had turf tires and it only stuttered twice when I hit some solid ice under the snow in a couple of places. it never stopped just spun the tires a bit till I was over/off the ice patches. We rarely have much snow but ocassionally we will (and did) have about 6 to 8 inches that year. Our snow is also usually pretty wet and slick, not the dry powdery stuff.

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #5  
Since you long driveway is steep, you may need chains. My first BX with turf tires did well without 'em in a winter that had lots of drifted snow. And digging out the neighbors is something that I do also. Now on my B2620 with industrial tires, chains were needed. I thought the 2 link ladder type did a fine job.

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #6  
I bought chains for my first BX 11 years ago. They are still sitting there in the box. I have turf tires and only moderate incline though.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #7  
My dealer wouldn't sell me chains because he said I wouldn't need them. 9 years later I still haven't needed them. BX24, turf tires, front blade, no rear weight, fairly level road, slight rise on driveway.

I would say since you have a steep drive buy them, but try without first.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #8  
i've got standard 2-link chains for the rear of my BX. our driveway is steep, paved and shaded. it ices over pretty well and i need chains to make the climb (even without a plow-load of wet heavy NJ snow up front) when it's covered in ice or hard-packed snow. pretty much unstoppable with chains on the rear. never even considered them for the front.

might be helpful:
Tractor-Tire Chains Recommendations

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX?
i've got standard 2-link chains for the rear of my BX. our driveway is steep, paved and shaded. it ices over pretty well and i need chains to make the climb (even without a plow-load of wet heavy NJ snow up front) when it's covered in ice or hard-packed snow. pretty much unstoppable with chains on the rear. never even considered them for the front.

might be helpful:
Tractor-Tire Chains Recommendations
Thanks HeLa... and to you others that have chimed in. I have a suspicion that if I don't get chains I will need them and if I do get them... I won't! But it seems like a great item to put on my Xmas wish list since I always get bugged...'What do you want for Xmas?' and I have a hard time coming up with reasonable ideas under $100. For some reason when I put a boat, chipper, two tickets to paradise... on my list, they never appear under the tree! :laughing:

/ Recommendations for tire chains on a BX? #10  
I wouldn't get ATV chains, I don't think they will be strong enough to handle the torque of your tractor.