Chains Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s #1  

Hemlock View

I have installed these same v-bar ladder chains on my rear R4 tires for the past five winters....never a problem, just a lot of effort to get them on.

Same installation process this year....I did bring the air pressure up to 30psi before installing.....and it all looks good. The problem is the bounce factor. I drive down the road and my kidneys are ready to jump right out.

Maybe I'm just getting old enough to forget how rough it is from year to year. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s #2  
Have you ever noticed the small seats on bicycles? Bicyclists counter-act by wearing bike shorts, padded in the butt. If you put a pair on under some coveralls, it may help.

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s #3  
Has your suspension seat frozen up? or mis-adjusted?.. Remember about 90% of L2800/L3400 suspension seats are froze/rusted up when delivered to the owner. But they do have them. Adjuster is in the back.

James K0UA

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s
Thanks guys for the great and helpful feedback. I'm heading out now to bleed some air from the rear tires and check the seat suspension.....and add some padding to my fanny.
Pete

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s #6  
Yeah a lot of folks think those two little springs just under the seat comprise the "suspension seat" on a L2800/L3400.. but not so.. there is a real suspension seat with strong horizontal springs that you "preload" with a T handle adjuster under and on the back side of the seat. The slide mechanism often is frozen up and requires a lot of lube, and often will require you to tilt the seat up and jump up and down on the "plate" to break it loose. Kinda of like the Wiley Coyote stomp:) It looks stupid, but it works to get it working again. Properly adjusted you should be suspended on spring pressure and not receive every jolt thru the axle.

James K0UA

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s #7  
Yeah a lot of folks think those two little springs just under the seat comprise the "suspension seat" on a L2800/L3400.. but not so.. there is a real suspension seat with strong horizontal springs that you "preload" with a T handle adjuster under and on the back side of the seat. The slide mechanism often is frozen up and requires a lot of lube, and often will require you to tilt the seat up and jump up and down on the "plate" to break it loose. Kinda of like the Wiley Coyote stomp:) It looks stupid, but it works to get it working again. Properly adjusted you should be suspended on spring pressure and not receive every jolt thru the axle.

James K0UA

K0ua,

Wow--no kidding? I did not know that. When you say "Yeah a lot of folks think those two little springs just under the seat comprise the "suspension seat" on a L2800/L3400.. but not so...", would that also apply to the B2630? Because that tractor has one (or two?) shiny springs, running front-to-back, and I too thought I was looking at the suspension springs.

Regardless of what you know about the B2630, are the springs you refer to, on the L, that do NOT make up the suspension seat, also shiny, and running front-to-back?

And if they do not have to do with the suspension, what is their purpose? Or are they part of the suspension system?

I only drone on about this because I'm just starting to look at the "L's" and am very much adrift--plus, I want a suspension seat, and would like to avoid going to an air ride, if possible.

Thanks!

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s #8  
Do you have spacers on the rear wheels to get the chains on?

L2800 w/FEL - 72" Land Pride rake

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s #9  
Remove the bounce:
Add a cross chain between the existing cross chains.
Run a diagonal chain between the cross links.
Add several lateral links between the cross chains

All the parts to do this are available.

Lower the tire pressure before putting on the chains. Air them up after the chains are on.:D

Forgett the bike shorts. They don't have padding, they use a chamoise insert to prevent chafing.

/ Winter Chain bouncing - L2800 w/ R4s
Thanks again for all the great input guys. Pete