L2800 hour meter not working

/ L2800 hour meter not working #1  

KD93

Tractor
05 Kubota L2800
Hi folks.

Anyone got any ideas on what would make the hour meter and rpm gauge stop working? I took it apart yesterday thinking there was going to be a bad ground wire somewhere but all I can find is some kind of signal cable that goes directly from the back of the gauge to the sender unit on the engine. That being the case, either the cable is bad, (not sure how that would happen, but ok,) or the gauge is bad. I don't really want to get a whole new gauge cluster if I don't have to. Any input much appreciated. :thumbsup:

/ L2800 hour meter not working #2  
Are you sure that "signal cable" isn't a mechanical tachometer cable? My B7800 has a mechanical (rather than electrical) tachometer/hour meter. If that's what it is, maybe an end is loose - try tightening the threaded connections on both ends.

BTW...Welcome to TBN.

/ L2800 hour meter not working #3  
Welcoe to TBN.
Did you just get the tractor ? Did it notice if it ever worked ?

/ L2800 hour meter not working
Thanks for the replies and greetings folks. Sorry I haven't replied, been very busy. I got the tractor a few months ago, taken care of all the little leaks etc. That 3pt sure is jerky! Oh well...
Neither the meter or gauge have worked since I've run it. I take it they get the signal from the same source as there is only one, (mechanical) input to the gauge that I can see. I checked both ends but both connections seemed good. I guess I'm going to have to get a new gauge cluster. The temperature gauge doesn't work, but that could be the sensor, (need to check for voltage) and the fuel gauge doesn't work either, but that's probably the sender. The only things that do work on the cluster are the ignition and glow plug lamps. So I either have a bad ground to the cluster, assuming it's common, or all the sensors are bad. Chances of all sensors being bad? Not high unless the tractor has suffered a lightening strike. It did come from Miami, so it's possible, but not likely. Dang...

/ L2800 hour meter not working #5  
I would think your L2800,an "economy" tractor,would have a mechanical cable driven tachometer/hourmeter as herringchoker suggested.It looks just like a speedometer cable(remember those from older-non computer cars?).Inside the cable housing is a square twisted wire core that turns inside the housing.This may be broken internally.
Can you unthread the cable fron the guage cluster,start the engine and observe if the cable is indeed turning?If not turning,you may have found your problem.
Curious that your fuel and temp guages are not working as well.Makes me suspect somebody has been there before.
Don't spend your money just yet.Good Luck!

/ L2800 hour meter not working #6  
I would think your L2800,an "economy" tractor,would have a mechanical cable driven tachometer/hourmeter as herringchoker suggested.It looks just like a speedometer cable(remember those from older-non computer cars?).Inside the cable housing is a square twisted wire core that turns inside the housing.This may be broken internally.
Can you unthread the cable fron the guage cluster,start the engine and observe if the cable is indeed turning?If not turning,you may have found your problem.
Curious that your fuel and temp guages are not working as well.Makes me suspect somebody has been there before.
Don't spend your money just yet.Good Luck!

This is good advice. :thumbsup:

/ L2800 hour meter not working #7  
Does anyone have the service manual? If not, that is the first thing I would buy, not any parts.

/ L2800 hour meter not working
@ number two, yes Sir, it is a mechanical cable. I will need to check to see if it's turning in there. Not sure why it would break, but who knows. Thanks for the advise. @ k0ua, no I don't have a service manual yet. But I work on marine engines, (diesel inboards, not outboards) for a living, so I'm fairly savvy mechanically. Which isn't to say the manual won't be needed! lol. But looking at the parts diagrams do help, for sure. I just haven't been able to find a wiring schematic online.
Thanks for the replies/help folks. Much appreciated.