I Still Hate My Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I Still Hate My Tractor #21  
I've read several of Fred's posts. Sadly,, I don't think there's a fix for this problem. The Honeymoon is over. The Marriage is doomed. Throwing money at this tractor will not fix the problem. Depending on financial situation, it's either tolerate it until finances improve or trade it. There's nothing specifically wrong with this tractor. It just can't live up to Fred's expecations. No fault here. :(

I tend to agree, I did a search yesterday for threads and posts on the 3940 and found nothing but satisfied users, Waxman has a 3240HSTC with much less power and likes it. I decided early in the buying process, I wouldn't be happy with less than 50HP, more even better and bought accordingly. Heck there are times my L5740 runs out of power, but I got the 5740 as a backup to the 8540.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor
I don't think Waxman ever leaves his driveaway...lol. Just kidding.

Anyway the turbo IS going on this thing. Why not just help me along? I'll take pix if you like but warning my work is not as neat as that guy 4Shorts. My welds look like bubble gum. I use too many wire ties but I use black ones.

Fred

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #23  
Me thinks nobody is helping you out because nobody else has ever tried it...

I guess I am still wondering if there is some other base issue here. You outlined several problems here and in other threads: hard starts, smoke, lack of power, maybe other stuff too. The turbo might help out on power. I don't know about smoke. It sure won't help with starting. This points somewhere else in my mind.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #24  
Me thinks nobody is helping you out because nobody else has ever tried it...

I guess I am still wondering if there is some other base issue here. You outlined several problems here and in other threads: hard starts, smoke, lack of power, maybe other stuff too. The turbo might help out on power. I don't know about smoke. It sure won't help with starting. This points somewhere else in my mind.

Exactly!He has something else going on with this tractor.I had a L3130 and now own a L4240 and L3000DT and never have had a problem starting in any weather.May be a fuel problem......

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #25  
When you start the engine cold are you setting the throttle lever somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 open as opposed to idle. The engine will start much easier and smoke less in fact kubota puts that in my manual.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #26  
Please post pictures. I am very interested. My reservation is that these small engines have so little room for improvement. To get the hp you will need will require fueling and boosting the engine beyond its limits. I wish you luck and hope you will keep us up to date on your progress.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #27  
When you start the engine cold are you setting the throttle lever somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 open as opposed to idle. The engine will start much easier and smoke less in fact kubota puts that in my manual.

You start yours at 1/4 throttle? Havent tried that. (although my new one fires off instantly, so never felt the need to try any other way)

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #28  
I don't think Waxman ever leaves his driveaway...lol. Just kidding.

Anyway the turbo IS going on this thing. Why not just help me along? I'll take pix if you like but warning my work is not as neat as that guy 4Shorts. My welds look like bubble gum. I use too many wire ties but I use black ones.

Fred

Thank you. Coming from you that's a real compliment:rolleyes:. Bad welds or not about the only help I can offer you is detailed photos of our 5740's turbo set up and I do have the WSM for these tractors so if you don't have the WSM (Work Shop Manual) I can get you some info.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #29  
Yar. I only use high range for moving the tractor on the road, and not with any loads going uphill. Depending on the grade (>15%), even mid-range is too high.) I've yet to pull anything too big in low range, assuming I have the traction to move it in the first place.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #30  
I wonder if one or two glow plugs have been cooked to oblivion by now. (hope not) Multiple repeat cycles can be hard on them (BTDT), and cyls not so preheated will smoke for a sec on startup. (I don't recall the OP's block heater status/existence ...)

Adding a turbo should increase o'all power some, but how will boost be regulated, if at all? Waste gate, digital control system w/MAP monitoring, etc(?), it sounds like more than adding a hi-perf air cleaner to a gas engine. Maybe anything left of the warranty doesn't really matter. :confused:

btw: PowerStroke guys tell me its easy to 'chip-up' their hp until the rods/bearings won't take any more. Were talking a two liter diesel here, and its limits may be discovered the hard way. :eek: At easily 1k lbs heavier (with cab) than my little NH (few hp less) it could take a hefty increase to make the L3940 a real workhorse. (Mine isn't) I'd have traded up by now, just for the simplicity of it. Gotta wonder if power would have seemed easier to put to ground with a gear/shuttle drive vs the HST.

Good luck, Fred! Sometimes ya just gotta 'jump in' to see what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.