Snow b7800 front blower issues/turning

/ b7800 front blower issues/turning #1  

grizzjeeper

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota l3400 HST
We have a b7800 with front mount blower, and a rear sander with a cab. We blow a long curvy driveway with elevation changes. So far it hasnt been as good of an expirience as expected.... I much prefer my l3200 rear mount but I digress.

Besides blowing through shear pins at an alarming rate (1/4 20's seem a bit light for this application, going to move to a grade 8 and see if that improves.. as we are dont seem to be actually hitting anything) the biggest issue is manuverability. We have chains on the back and the front tires have studs. Just no traction to turn. has anyone added any weight to the front or have any suggestions?

/ b7800 front blower issues/turning #2  
grizzjeeper--I have almost the exact set-up that you are using (no cab or front studs), and you are right--you can't make sharp turns on ice or packed snow. I make 3-point (or more) turns--with the blower raised--to get the front heading in the direction I want. I've just gotten used to driving it like that over the years--it's really no big effort. My B2782 blower is built like a tank so I don't know how much more weight you could put on the front. The unit does a great job moving a lot of snow...Regards, Mike

/ b7800 front blower issues/turning #4  
I have pretty much the same setup, B7800 with front blower and rear salter, and have a problem turning sometimes. The thing seems to track where the blower wants to go. I just raise the blower a small amount to get he turn started and that seems to work for me.

/ b7800 front blower issues/turning #5  
Are you using the blower in float or with down pressure? Although I have a different tractor if it had any downward force steering becomes difficult. Using float makes a big difference for me. Especially with drive ways that have a series of dips and elevation changes.

/ b7800 front blower issues/turning #6  
For the shearing problem, have you checked to make sure all of your u-joints are aligned correctly?

I had the same problem on my 3pt snowblower for the last 2 seasons, broke a shear bolt every 3-4 hours of operation despite never hitting anything. It turned out to be the yoke on the tractor end was out of time with the yoke on the blower end. It also caused excessive vibration when under a load.

/ b7800 front blower issues/turning #7  
It turned out to be the yoke on the tractor end was out of time with the yoke on the blower end.

What do you mean by "out of time". Do you mean you had to rotate the shaft in the sleeve of the PTO shaft by 90 deg to change the orientation of the yokes?

/ b7800 front blower issues/turning #8  
BeezFun - Yes. One yoke had to be rotated by 90 degrees. Most PTO shafts that I have encountered are not symmetrical, so they only go together in the correct direction. The shaft on my blower was not designed that way.