Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
Changed fuel filter today on my MX5100, following the steps in the Op Manual for bleeding. But the engine shut down just before I closed the bleed valve and will not restart. Apparently the next step would be to bleed one (or more) of the fuel injection lines, but how do you get to the top of the block on the MX5100 to do that? I cannot get a wrench on any of them. Remove the fuel tank???

NOTE: I could see there was air in the bowl, but the Manual doesn't say to fill the bowl so I thought it would be OK. Maybe that was my mistake.

I talked to a mechanic at my local dealer over the phone. He thought I should be able to reach the injector, I don't see how. He will come up after Xmas if I can't get figure it out. I guess there is the same issue with getting to the glow plugs.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #2  
Did you turn your fuel shut off valve back on? After changing my filter this fall, assembled everything, opened shut off valve and the bowl filled right up. Opened bleeder on pump and ran for 30 seconds, closed bleed screw and all was fine.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter
Yes, opened valve, bowl filled about 1/2. That was the unusual part, I should have stopped at that point.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #4  
I think there is a self bleeding jet start system on this engine. The valve is located on the injector pump and you open he valve and crank the engine over when it starts shut the valve off. I am going from memory here but it was about the easiest priming fuel filter change I have ever seen. You can go to Kubota parts list online and look up the valve on in the engine catagory under the injector pump section. It is listed as item # 080. KUBOTA PARTS DIAGRAMS ONLINE

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #5  
fat tire,

What you see below is a transfer pump that is lower than the outlet on the fuel filter. That provides fuel to the fuel pump.

On the pic below , follow the discharge pipe up to a round knob (just about the oil cap). That knob has a bypass that goes all the way to the fuel tank. You need to open that round knob by hand pressure. You then try to start a few time so it can expel the air back to the tank. You will not see any fuel bubble. That procedure should be enough.

if you follow 4 lines from top of the fuel injector pump lead you to where it enters the pistons. Yo u can bleed it there but I do not recommend it as it is not recommended on (WSM )Work Shop Manual).

JC

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #6  
JC-jetro pics shoe the jetstart valve that I was describing and his is much easier to understand. :D

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #7  
Do you have a full tank of diesel? On my tractor I changed the fuel filter and had a similar problem where it ran briefly then would not start not matter what. I filled the tank from a quarter tank to full out of sheer desperation and it started instantly allowing me to finish bleeding. No problems since.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter
Thanks for the input guys. I opened the air bleeder valve (same as shown nicely by jc-tretro) before cranking the first time, the engine ran, and then died just as I was about to close the valve. BUT, no, my tank is only about 1/2 full. Tomorrow I can fill it and try again. I will do back flips if filliing the tank does the trick.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #9  
You can also apply ""short bursts of compressed air"" into fuel tank neck while blocking remainder of filler neck with a rag in lieu of a full tank of fuel to speed up bleeding process. I think since you got it to fire you should not need to bleed injectors to get it to run.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #10  
fat tire,

What you see below is a transfer pump that is lower than the outlet on the fuel filter. That provides fuel to the fuel pump.

On the pic below , follow the discharge pipe up to a round knob (just about the oil cap). That knob has a bypass that goes all the way to the fuel tank. You need to open that round knob by hand pressure. You then try to start a few time so it can expel the air back to the tank. You will not see any fuel bubble. That procedure should be enough.

if you follow 4 lines from top of the fuel injector pump lead you to where it enters the pistons. Yo u can bleed it there but I do not recommend it as it is not recommended on (WSM )Work Shop Manual).

JC

EXCELLENT post JC. This gentleman's transfer pump or lift pump is air locked, simply pull the line off the transfer pump (top photo) that goes to the injection pump and draw a slight vacuum on the line allowing the air bubbles to clear up, THEN start the engine with the bleeder valve open.

Fred