Oil & Fuel Fuel FIlters

/ Fuel FIlters #11  
If I wanted a fuel shutoff valve on my BX, I would install it, and would not be worried about it voiding the warranty. I also probably wouldn’t cut the original fuel line but add a short piece of line between the valve and the filter. That way if I decided for whatever reason (perhaps warranty concerns if my engine cratered /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) that I wanted it removed, all I would have to do is remove the valve and hook everything back like original. Problem solved.
I have been told a vehicle manufacturer cannot void a warranty because of a modification to a vehicle unless they can demonstrate that the modification was the cause of the failure. I guess if a company is looking for a reason not to honor their warranty, one excuse (like a fuel shutoff valve) is as good as another. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Fuel FIlters #12  
My experiences have always been that the extent of the warranty repair being accepted or rejected lies more with the dealership that is doing the repair than any other factor. It is rare that the factory representative inspects a vehicle before repair unless it is a major failure and the dealership request the inspection because there is some doubt in their mind if they will be reimbursed for the work after completion. I had a engine fail at 23K and the dealership tore down the entire engine in attempt to determine what caused the failure before the factory representative was called to inspected it. It turned out to be defective crankshaft casting that caused the failure and they replace the entire engine without hesitation.. They could have just as well rebuilt it, but the dealership felt that a replacement would be better for the customer (me) in the end result....

/ Fuel FIlters #13  
I agree. The dealer is usually the judge of warranty claims unless he rules against you and you take it to a higher court (the factory). I believe that when it is not totally clear what caused the failure is when having bought locally has its greatest advantage. Since you are the dealer’s customer, he will want to rule in your favor if at all possible, whereas if you bought elsewhere he may not really want to do your warranty work and may look for a reason to deny your claim.
I have personally experienced this with a local car dealership that refused to do any warranty work on a new car that I bought from an out-of-town dealership until the factory representative forced them to. I know most dealers are not this extreme, but when a gray area comes up I believe your odds are always better with your purchasing dealer.