L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #1  

kubota4me

Silver Member
Tractor
An orange one
Would it be possible for somebody to post a picture of the hydraulic fluid level check window for me? I would be very grateful for your help! Thanks in advance!

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #2  
I don't have a picture for you, but it's on the left side of the center hump about mid way. It's recessed in a 1" or so cutout, and you'll have to bend over to see the sight glass. Even then, at least on mine, the fluid is so clear that it blends with the glass so much that the level is pretty much invisible.

Best place to check the level I've found is on the rear. Down finger deep is good enough...

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #3  
Would it be possible for somebody to post a picture of the hydraulic fluid level check window for me? I would be very grateful for your help! Thanks in advance!

Having some trouble getting a picture & a comment to upload...
Let's try thistime...
Your's should be like my L4200... in this picture you can see it, just below the lowest link of the small chain attached to the top link pin... it appears like a white circle in this picture..

Attachments

• KubotaRearSightGlass.jpg
    KubotaRearSightGlass.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 9,444
   / L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check
I see what you mean about hardly being able to see the hydraulic fluid. Your picture helped me greatly. If you can't see the line because the fluid is invisible, then what. How much fluid would you add? I think you can get too much fluid in there, can't you?

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #5  
Yes, you can overfill. I just did. What a mess. I kept looking at the window, never saw fluid. Still don't see fluid, except on the floor of my garage!

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check
I mean can you overfill to the point that it could damage the tractor's hydraulics?

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #7  
Very good question. I do not know the answer, but I am sure others on this forum will know.

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #8  
Here is what you need to do. Make sure the tractor is level front to back and side to side.
Place bucket level on the ground, and 3pt down.. Check sight glass with bright flashlight Look for a possible bubble at the top.. If you see nothing, proceed as follows.
Start tractor, make sure brake is set and out of gear so it does not run you over as your are kneeling in an unsafe place.

It is best to have someone else operate these controls while you keep your eye glued to the sight glass.
Raise loader all the way up, and dump bucket all the way..note if you start to see the fluid line appear, if not raise the 3pt also. Now look. If you still cannot see it, lower everything back down, and add some fluid quart at a time, and check on the theory that the fluid level was always below the bottom of the sight glass and should start appearing from the bottom up. If this doesn't work add another quart. If it runs out of the fill port, clean up the mess and drain some out until you can see the line at the top of the sight glass when all implements and FEL is lowered and level.

Second option. Go to the John Deere dealership and get some of their hydraulic fluid dye designed to pour into your hydraulic fluid. Don't worry it will work fine with your Kubota too. Now your fluid will be red. Operate the 3pt and your loader several times to mix it. Look at the sight glass, If it is red, then the fluid level is high, with all the implements down and level bucket. If it is still white, add fluid until you see the red fluid come up the sight glass to near the top. Done. Below is the JD part number.
Part Number: MT3668
Part Price: 3.91 USD
Description: FLUID, HYDRAULIC OIL DYE

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #9  
I knew if I kept reading I'd learn something today! Thanks James..

Sean

/ L4400 hydraulic sight window hydraulic fluid level check #10  
I knew if I kept reading I'd learn something today! Thanks James..

Sean

No problem Sean. Who ever designed that sight glass and where they placed it was a bad bad man. A dipstick would have went a long way to improving that situation, and I cannot see how it would have cost a whole lot more.