Tires Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links)

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links) #1  

Finnster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I've been looking at swapping from R4 industrial tires to turf tires on my B2620 (TLB) this year when mowing season starts up. The R4s are loaded and have worked really well for all the projects I've done, and they have been great in the snow this winter plowing (no chains.) Only downside is they tend to beat up my grass more than I like. So I've been looking at getting a set of turfs. I have clay, and some parts are often soggy, and the R4s leave tread marks or even rip the mud up there.

Buying a full set of turfs (F&R) from the dealer is very expensive, ~$1100 for wheels/tires. I did manage to find a set of new Kenda F turf tires for a good price ($130/pair shipped.)
For now I plan on just removing the F industrial tires and mounting the turfs to the existing rim. The tire and wheel size is not changing as best as I can confirm. (23" diameter wheel)

However, the rears are tricker. The wheel looks different for the R4s than the R3s. 16.5" radius vs a 15" for the turfs. Plus I want to keep a set of the mounted/filled R4s to swap back to as needed (for now at least, and I do know they are v heavy.) So I was looking to get a set of wheels and tires. The dealer still wants $700-800 for the set.

So I was looking around and saw a number of people have used light duty truck tires on their tractors due to the insane cost of the tires. Pricing this out, I can get the Kubota rear wheels, 15x10", for approx $90 ea. I was looking on tire rack for the 33X12.5R15 that match the 23x8.50-12 tires in the front. Example, Grabber ATs that are going for $150 ea right now. In short I can get a full set of rears for less than $500, and they seem like good quality tires.

Some tire specs:

Kubota B2620 Tires:
Lawn/turf front: 23x8.50-12 (Diameter: 22.6, RC=71"?, Max Load pounds: 1124.4)
Lawn/turf rear: 33x12.50-15 (Rolling Circumference: 102", Max Load pounds: 2090)
Industrial front: 23x8.50-12 (6-ply IIRC, Rolling Circumference: 68", Max Load pounds: 1810)
Industrial rear: 12-16.5 (Rolling Circumference: 101", Max Load pounds: 4220)

So basically all the specs are fairly close. The only thing I don't have a direct compatible on is the RC for the F turfs, but that shouldn't matter too much as long as I get a R truck tire that is close to the OEM tires. For the truck AT linked above, it looks as if the RC is 99-100", and erring on the small side is better as its more lead. (Don't know the lead with the OEM turfs, but the change to truck ATs is only ~1% more lead.)

The load ratings are also comparable, 2205 lbs for the truck AT. Not anywhere near the R4s, but a bit more than oem turfs.

Anyone see any reason this is just a bad idea? In the end it *only* saves $200, but I'm not seeing what that buys me anyways. Maybe a little gentler on grass, but I would think the truck tires are better in snow/ice.

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links) #2  
Honestly I'm with you 100%! I was thinking about putting different tires on my john deere model A. Well..... that only took a minute. New tires would cost 1000$ for the rear I think it was.

Industrials are GREAT all around. I don't blame you for wanting your own tires for your lawn etc. Tires is a touchy topic for some people. But the long and short they make aggressive turf, AG, and industrial tires. As long as they are weighted I have had great luck with R4 tires on snow and ice not to mention they are great with lawn and don't wear out fast due to the heavy ply construction. Two things here -

I would not like to spend the money for turf tires. I think "truck tires" is a great idea. Lots of different tread patterns. Should be cost effective for lawn use not to mention seasonal use.

Second thing do you do loader work or other heavy task?? The truck tires will not last as long as industrial tires with heavy use. For lawn mowing etc I would not be worried about it.

Do you have trouble with industrial tires tearing up your lawn?

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links) #3  
No tire will get better snow traction than a good turf tire.
The Rolling Circumference listing for any tire is its 'deformed' shape with it's normal design Load... I f you run a multi ply truck tire on a tractor with a lower 'normal' weight load, the resulting Rolling Circumference will be closer to its Actual Circumference, there will not normally be enough load to deform the circumference.

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links) #4  
I use loaded turf on all surfaces and conditions and never an issue.. Turfs and forget the rest!

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links)
I use loaded turf on all surfaces and conditions and never an issue.. Turfs and forget the rest!

I already have a set of loaded industrials, so I'm covered on that front. I'm trying to get a set of tires for mowing that will be low cost as possible without being terrible.
I know the turfs are good in snow too, just don't need them to be.

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links) #6  
Sorry, My point was...Maybe invest in the turfs and then sell the industrials and recoup some $$. Unless there is a specific application you need the industrials for...

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links)
Sorry, My point was...Maybe invest in the turfs and then sell the industrials and recoup some $$. Unless there is a specific application you need the industrials for...

I'm pondering that, just dont plan to do that right away. I'd like to hang onto the R4s for projects, wintertime, and anything I'm not expecting right now. They are really great tires, plus its really nice to have a set of loaded tires when needed. I'm not going to be swapping them multiple times a month. So on and off a few times a year is not a major hassle.

When I'm don't doing any projects, most of the hrs are mowing, so I'd like to be able to store them and throw a set of cheap turfs on. I'm even considering getting a used set of truck tires. It doesn't really matter if they have only 20-30% thread if I'm just mowing. They have places where you can get such tires for ~$30 ea.

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links) #8  
Truck tires will cut ruts as there is a sharp distinction between tread and side wall. A turf tire just puts more tread and curves into the sidewall as it squishes into the ground.

/ Using truck tires as turf tires on B2620? (with useful links) #9  
I'm pondering that, just dont plan to do that right away. I'd like to hang onto the R4s for projects, wintertime, and anything I'm not expecting right now. They are really great tires, plus its really nice to have a set of loaded tires when needed. I'm not going to be swapping them multiple times a month. So on and off a few times a year is not a major hassle.

When I'm don't doing any projects, most of the hrs are mowing, so I'd like to be able to store them and throw a set of cheap turfs on. I'm even considering getting a used set of truck tires. It doesn't really matter if they have only 20-30% thread if I'm just mowing. They have places where you can get such tires for ~$30 ea.

I'm just curious what specific projects you specifically need R4's? Sure In mud they'll probably be better than turfs, But in the winter the turfs will beat them on packed snow and ice. Maybe not so much in DEEP snow, but I've never been stuck..... As for loaded, Mine are loaded year round and because of the wide foot print don't damage the lawn....

Biggest issue with turfs is demolition and nails. mostly the front tires with I have easily plugged and hold up fine. The rears haven't been an issue