Frozen FEL?

/ Frozen FEL? #1  

bellweather

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Yesterday I was clearing snow with the front loader in temperatures around 6 degrees above zero. At one point the loader would not raise above a certain point. I could lower it and dump the bucket, but it would go no higher than a bit over horizontal. After I lowered the RPMs and brought the tractor into my garage, The loader operated normally. I have never experienced this before in any kind of weather. Any ideas about what may have been the cause?

/ Frozen FEL? #3  
Check your fluid for water by doing a crackle test.

Your fluid probably has ice in it.

Check/reset your QD also.

/ Frozen FEL?
Thanks for the replies. Yes the joy stick moved normally, not sure about the valve, and the 3PH with rear blade worked normally as well. When the loader would stop moving up, it sounded like it was straining to go higher, almost as though I was attempting to lift something too heavy. What is a crackle test? QD?

/ Frozen FEL?
I found out about the crackle test on the web...interesting. I will keep it in mind. Can't imagine how moisture could enter the hydraulic system...the tractor is always stored in a garage heated to 40F, and fluids changed per Kubota maintenance schedule, sometimes sooner.

/ Frozen FEL? #6  
Condensation can get into almost anything.

The hyd system is not a sealed unit, it has to vent.

/ Frozen FEL? #7  
It's the storing at above freezing that will give you condensation problems unless the unit is worked hard enough to clean up the oil every time it's used.

/ Frozen FEL?
Ergon
In order for condensation to form, outside air would need to enter the hydraulic system. Isn't it a closed system?

/ Frozen FEL? #9  
Ergon
In order for condensation to form, outside air would need to enter the hydraulic system. Isn't it a closed system?

No, there is a vent because as the fluid heats up the air needs to expand. When the fluid cools it draws in ambient air and moisture.

/ Frozen FEL? #10  
Thanks for the replies. Yes the joy stick moved normally, not sure about the valve, and the 3PH with rear blade worked normally as well. When the loader would stop moving up, it sounded like it was straining to go higher, almost as though I was attempting to lift something too heavy. What is a crackle test? QD?

Straining would indicate flow being blocked probably by a QD (Quick Disconnect) that came partially undone from snow hitting it or just cold weather causing the hoses to pull on them. Lower the FEL to ground and disconnect then reconnect the two lines for the loader.