Shuttle shift sticking in M6800

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800 #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I wanted to post about a problem I was recently having with my M6800. Lately, whenever I needed to go from forward to reverse or back, the shuttle shift lever would stick and I would have a hard time trying to get the tractor to go into gear. I was starting to think that I was in for a very large bill from the dealer. I took a chance and called their service department and spoke with a helpful guy who said it could be because my tractor sits outside and we have had a ton of rain this past summer. He told me to use some penetrating oil in the cable behind or underneath the shifter. Unfortunately, there isn't a cable behind my shifter. So, I took off the plate that is behind the main shifter just under the steering wheel. I soaked all the rod end connection points with penetrating oil and it worked like magic. The tractor is currently shifting smoothly! Hopefully that fixes it from now on.

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800 #2  
congrat on it being a minor problem!! you might consider using a spray dry teflon lube or anything heavier than penetrating oil. even std grease could dry up in the weather over time. always good to hear forum members solving a problem themselves. assume it's a shuttle shift rather than hydro?

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800 #3  
My L4200 is doing the same thing, seems to jam at times
thanks for tip.

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800
Yep it's a shuttle shift not hydro. Been a great tractor for me. It just turned 500 hours this morning while I was splitting firewood.(just use it around my property and some light field mowing for a couple neighbors) Had it since new. Just wish I had had enough knowledge to order a skidsteer style front end loader instead of what I got... Bushhog brand quick attach. I'd never had a tractor with a loader before. Live and learn.

I hope it's a simple fix for you too.

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800 #6  
Thanks for sharing this information, my 6800 was doing the same thing i read you post and took your advice now my tractor is shifting like new again.

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800 #7  
My fuel gauge has stopped working. Does anyone know what i could try on that on my 6800?

Glad it worked for you, Jim1965.
Sorry but I don't know anything about the fuel guage. Maybe somebody else would have some advice. It may be helpful if you start a new thread about it.

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800 #9  
Hiptfarms -- you are lucky. Very good news that some lubrication was the answer. I have a MF 2660 with shuttle shift and horror stories relating to it. I am convinced that every manufacturer felt compelled to come out with shuttle shifters (and soon after that power shuttles, "power reversers" , etc.) because of competition and sales effects. Rightly so, but I am also convinced they did not give the mechanism enough robust design attention, testing and especially quality control leaving the factories. In my case the shifter was bulky as delivered brand new. I was accused of failure to use the clutch (mine is not a power shifter.) The Brazilian factory was worse than poor about quality control and testing as units exited their factory. Mine just got worse. [I won't go into all the other unrelated serious problems but I will say the tractor is great now.] Eventually a large flat washer dropped out on my left foot. The console is ridiculously difficult to remove or get apart to see what in heck is going on underneath. To shorten this story, the dealer came to the farm, winched the thing onto the truck and hauled it off for repairs. A split pin had come loose and the shifter pivot linkage was no longer functional. Even in best case, the shifter requires too much force in my view. I previously owned a JD4700 with "power reverser" and that system worked right, exactly as it should, without excessive lever force. Smooth, easy, repeatable. I have considered jumping ship to one of the larger Kubotas (like the M5) but finally got the bugs out of the MF. I'm still curious how well the Kubota shuttle shifters perform. Would be nice to get use of one for a while.

/ Shuttle shift sticking in M6800 #10  
My Yanmar started doing the same...finally found a piece of gravel jambed between the case and the lever attaching to the linkage running up to the shift lever on the dash. It was lodged in enough the shaft going into the case simply couldn't move. So check that too.