Kubota Air Filter Cleaning???

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #1  

snurd

Tractor
Kubota L2800
Hi All,

I have a Kubota L2800 that I've been really happy with. I try to give it great service/maintenance in hopes of having for the rest of my lifetime.

I've been replacing the air filter every spring, even though the tractor gets only light use, approx. 100 hrs. each year. I ran across a note in the owner's manual that surprised me, stating: "When carbon or oil adheres to the element, soak the element in detergent for 15 minutes then wash it several times in water, rinse with clean water and dry it naturally. Replace the air filter once yearly, or after every sixth cleaning, whichever comes first.

This is a paper filter, Kubota #TA040-93230, so I'm amazed that it could be safe to wash??? Anyone doing this with their Kubota filters? If so, no need to waste money for a new filter every year in my case. They are expensive!

Thanks,

Keith

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #2  
If everything is working correctly how do you get oil or other containments on the filter in the first place? Seems like a bigger issue if you do.

I have never washed a paper filter I just tap out the dust every few months and replace each year... You should avoid using compressed air as well unless it is super low pressure and from inside out. A new filter is Cheap insurance considering the damage dust can do.

I do replace the inner filter once every few years as well.

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #3  
I've cleaned the one in my B2320 in a fashion similiar to the above mentioned several times with no apparent adverse effects. This will be my 4th season so I am thinking that I may buy a new one this year.

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #4  
You can use compressed air to blow from the inside of the filter out in order to blow dust/dirt particles outward from the element. Exactly how dirty the air filter becomes is dependent on conditions and use. Also, hold the filter up towards light and look in to the filter element, you should be able to see light inside of it.

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #5  
I wash mine occasionally,it is surprising how much fine dirt comes out of it.

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #6  
Paper filters are impregnated with chemicals to make them resistant to moisture. I've washed mine, seemed fine.

I've started tapping my filter out every time I use the tractor for any amount of time. I also put 3 numbers on the perimeter of the filter and rotate the area of the filter that directly faces the air intake tube. That's the spot that gets the most dust accumulation so I figured it would help to distribute that over the entire surface of the filter.

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #7  
I have always used a vacuum cleaner on the outside this gets rid of any possibility of blowing a hole in it with the air

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning???
Thanks for all of the kind replies...

I decided to go ahead and wash the filter since I intended to replace it anyway if it failed. The filter washed easily in a mild liquid detergent and warm water. It came out much cleaner with no damage whatsoever. I was amazed at how much dirt came out of it!

Even though the tractor sees few hours of use, less than 100 hrs. per year, it's mainly used for field/hay mowing. Obviously the filter gets dirtier than I realized.

Lesson I learned- Check your filter more often and clean it or replace it as needed, even with "light" use.

Thanks Again!

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #9  
If your using it doing hay, you'll get more fine particles than you'd expect. Also, be sure to clean the radiator regularly to get all of the junk out.

/ Kubota Air Filter Cleaning??? #10  
if that does not have a safety filter inside of it, one will fit inside the can. then you don't need to be as careful with the primary. The earlier Std L's did not have a safety filter.