Ags or R4s?

/ Ags or R4s? #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
I have Ags on my 1750 and have great traction, but sometimes they sure tear up the lawn. Thinking about going with R4s on my next tractor, but I've heard they tend to slip in wet grass or dirt after a rain when going uphill. There's a lot of up on my land. I was thinking of going with the ags for that reason, but I'll also be doing a lot of loader work, so the R4s and their heavy plys look good too...

Comments? Suggestions?

Yearning for a bigger tractor!

/ Ags or R4s? #2  
Boondox

The R4s on my jd4300 are just about what I expected and wanted. On the grass they scuff a little but not nearly what an AG tire would. I knew they wouldn't get the same traction as the AGs but hoped for more than they give. I've got a lot of steep hills and in the wet I can't even get up to the top of my property. My father-in-law can with his 2wd ford with AGs. I really made a mess up there trying to staighten out a road. Made it so muddy I can't even get back up to that same spot. I thought this might happen and had already decided if it did I'd just get some chains for the winter months. I don't have a problem with that and when I take the chain off in the spring the R4s will be a lot better for my grass and field. They're a good go between.

Jerry

/ Ags or R4s? #3  
For the foreseeable future I'm off the hook worrying about tires as I've decided to keep my AG equipped tractor and put it on my gooey property with hills and keep the R4 equipped L35 at home on the flatland.

Because it has R4's it is less stressful on the grass than an AG tyred, tired?sp tractor, but since it is 1100 pounds heavier than my Ag tired tractor it might be the same!

I have noticed one serious problem, that is trying to turn up a slight incline in mud with the R4s, the tractor tends to plow forward with the front wheels at an angle or even go DOWNHILL. Standing on the turning brakes helps, and of course what is fastest is to stop and use that big ol' manual rudder (backhoe) to scoot the tractor's butt around to where I want it.

I've had the R4's caked up with goo pretty good and they do clean themselves eventually before the tractor hits the shed. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Seems to me one of the fellow, Mark Chalkley I think, went with a Michelin tire that has the wide profile of the R4s but the ag type tread, anybody remember? Mark? How are they working out? Did you have to change the rims too? The Ags are better traction wise, but have a narrow footprint, especially in front compared to the R4's so you don't sink as much.

/ Ags or R4s? #4  
Its kinda a catch 22.
Depending on your ground surface {traction} and considering all 4 seasons plus safety,I would find couple of owners who have R4's and get there opinion also operate the tractor.

Heard from some folks when plowing heavy snow w/R4 tires they notice less traction

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Ags or R4s? #5  
Definitely alot less traction. That was the only thing that I was disappointed with was the R4's and traction. If you get in mud or snow and ice they're worthless without chains. I'd definitely go the ag route if I could have, tractor was on the lot with the R4's. Dealer told me they were better than the ags because they were wider. Glad that was the only thing he lied about on the tractor. But I don't do much besides ranch work with my tractor so keeping grass pretty isn't one of my high points with the tractor. The grass I want to keep nice I use my jd 279 riding mower for that.

tractorpic.jpg

/ Ags or R4s? #6  
My R4's slipped alot when I first used the tractor. The air pressures were up near maximum inflation. Letting some air out and adding wheel weights definitely helped to increase traction for me. Some time ago someone talked about checking how much contact was being made across the tire by looking at the tread pattern impression in soft ground or by eyeballing it on the garage floor. They are strong and stiff for high loads. R4's are a compromise. Somewhat forgiving on the lawn but will slip in the muck. My experience is they're better on firmer surfaces than in the real soft stuff.

I'd vote for Ag's if your mostly gonna be in mud and snow a lot like in the woods. Chains would be a big benefit there too. No tire alone is very good on ice. Even my lawn tractor with turfs will tear out grass when its wet and you spin the wheels because loss of traction.

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ Ags or R4s? #7  
I've got R4's on my L4310 and haven't had any problems. I had R4's on my L2900 with no ballast or wheel weights and was completely satisfied with the traction (as long as I was in 4wd). The R4's are a good fit for me since I do as much lawn work as I do pasture work.

Scott

/ Ags or R4s? #8  
I thought by reading this thread it would help me make my decision on what type of tire to get. WRONG I'm just as undecided as I was before I read this??????

/ Ags or R4s? #9  
Re: Ags or R4s?n Solution

When I had dirt bikes I couldn't make up my mind, so I had a 100, 250 and 500.

Also had Datsun pickup and drag-away-a-house Ford truck

Tractors? BX2200 and L35

BX tires? Turfs on wheels and Baby Ags on Wheels

Now all I have to do is figure out how to justify a set of ags for the L35!

I'm hoping those tires that Mark Chalkley went to will be better than either.

del

/ Ags or R4s? #10  
I posted the below in November - still my opinion. But you are right , seems everything is a compromise and there are no Ultimates /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I have seen a lot of discussion on the attributes of both ag (R1's ?) & r4's on this board. I have only had ag's on my 2 tractors. 1st tractor was a 1900 Ford 4wd, 32 HP, no loader. Had it for 15 years and it did a good job for me. Now have a M5700 Kubota 4wd, w/FEL, ag tires, with only 18 hours. I have not mowed with the Kubota yet. I kept about 4 acres of lawn cut with a Woods rear mount finish mower. The ag tires on the Ford did little or no damage to my lawn, only on very wet ground and sharp tuns would it mark the ground a little. No 4wd in use on mowing as lawn is relatively flat.
My Kubota weighs about twice what the Ford did, but it also has tires about twice as large therfore the PSI for contact surface probably more or less equal. Now to the heart of my opinion.

Several months back I needed to move some dirt (about 24 cubic yards) and borrowed by neighbors L4610 GST w/r4 tires. It did an admirable job but seemed like too much wheel spin. Just this week I had occasion to use my M5700 and FEL to move/push a lot of dirt. The ground was quite wet and I did do some damage to turf. The ag tires for my money give more traction in most situations. You need to accept that they do a little more damage than r4's though.

Couple all of this with my inexperience with the borrowed L4610, and same for new M5700, and never having a lot of loader time. I should have you absolutely confused now!! R1 ag tireS for my money.