L series HST clutch safety switch?

/ L series HST clutch safety switch? #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Is an L series HST supposed to have a safety switch on the clutch? I realize it has a neutral safety switch but I thought it was supposed to start without the clutch pedal depressed. While doing my 400hr. service and checking the "starting system"(I bought it used) it said to try and start the tractor without the clutch pedal depressed and if it cranks, "consult your local Kubota dealer for this service". Mine cranks in neutral with the clutch pedal in either position.

Kevin

/ L series HST clutch safety switch? #2  
I have an L3010 HST that will not turn over without the clutch depressed.

I am not aware of any Neutral switch on the L series. I start mine in gear all the time.

Kevin

/ L series HST clutch safety switch?
Kevin C.

What year is your L3010? Mine is a L3710 HST 1999. I know for a fact mine has a neutral safety switch as I have had to adjust it slightly once. I bet they changed from a neutral safety switch to a clutch safety switch at some point. My manual is a year or two newer than my tractor. It's not the original one that came with the tractor.

Kevin M.
ps. too many darned Kevins around here /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Believe it or not I work with a guy that has the same first and last name as I do. We have to use our middle initials to keep it straight. What are the odds? We only have about 25 employees!

/ L series HST clutch safety switch? #4  
Now I can't say for sure on the L series, but my B2710 (HST) had both a neutral and a clutch safety. You had to have the range selector in neutral, the PTOs turned off, and the clutch depressed for the starter to engage. I think it's supposed to be the same on the L series with the HST transmission.

/ L series HST clutch safety switch? #5  
My L3010 is a 2000. I just went and checked my manual and sure enough it says to place the range selector in Neutral. I guess my Neutral switch has never worked. I'll have to think about getting that fixed.

Kevin

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion too quicky Kevin C.
It may say to put it in neutral but not actually have a safety switch for that particular function.

Page 23 of my manual says: (keep in mind it's not the original manual that came with my tractor)
<font color="red"> </font>
[HST type]
Because of the safety device, the engine will not start except when the PTO gear shift lever is placed in the "OFF" position, speed control pedal is place in the "Neutral" position and the clutch pedal is disengaged.

<font color="black"> </font>
It doesn't mention anything about a neutral safety switch. The "neutral" is in reference to the pedal. I am still thinking they changed from a gear safety switch to a clutch safety switch so that the operator couldn't start the tractor from the ground. (like I can) But of course I would never think of doing that!

Kevin M.

/ L series HST clutch safety switch? #7  
Interesting,

On Page 22 of my manual is says:

Make sure the speed set lever is in the "off" position.
Place the speed control pedal in "neutral" position.
Place the range gear shift lever (L-M-H) in "neutral" position.

For a company that makes such great tractors their manuals sure do stink.

I'll check the range lever and see if there are any switches even connected to it.

Kevin

/ L series HST clutch safety switch? #8  
The first 10 series HSTs had a safety switch on the range lever and nothing on the clutch pedal. A year or two later they moved the safety switch to the clutch pedal and removed it from the range lever.
The reason for this is that, if you shut the tractor off with the range lever in gear, it would somtimes be difficult to get it back into nuetral, so you could not get it started. So Kubota thought it would be wise to move the switch to the clutch pedal so it could be started in gear.

J.D.

Thank you very much J.D. Nice handle ya got there btw. That's what I figured, although I thought it was to keep you from starting it from the ground. As you mentioned it has been hard to get into neutral after shutting it off in gear. I'm in the habit of putting it in neutral before shutting it off just for that reason.

If you can think of any major differences between a '99 and later 10 series HSTs that I should be aware of, lemme know.
I bought it used from my local dealer and the newer manual is what he had available. I DO love the tractor though!

Thanks again J.D.
Kevin M.

/ L series HST clutch safety switch? #10  
That makes sense to me. It is difficult to shift out of gear when the tractor isn't running and I don't like the idea of parking in Neutral....I guess my father taught me that when I was learning to drive.

Thanks,
Kevin