5 Degrees and need to crank it up

/ 5 Degrees and need to crank it up #1  

LateBloomer

Tractor
B7500 HST
OK so now I get to test my regular UDT on a cold day. It is about 5 degees out now and I want to move some snow. Besides warming up my engine block any other recommendations? This is my first time using my B7500 in cold weather since I bought is last summer.

/ 5 Degrees and need to crank it up #2  
Get a block heater. I didn't use one for years because my tractors always started no matter how cold it got (and we see temps as low as minus 30 here). I'd just let it warm up 20 minutes or so before driving off. But someone convinced me to get a block heater to reduce wear on the engine...and I can't believe what a difference it made in ease of startup! I also use synthetic oil and UDT, but feel the verdict is still out on that decision.

Stay warm, Pete

/ 5 Degrees and need to crank it up
I stuck my magnetic block heater on about an hour ago to let it start warming the oil. I have synthetic 5-40 W Rotella because of some of the posts I read here. How long should I let the heater work before cranking it up?? If I still have sunlight I'll post a picture of my results. It is 3 PM here and shadows are already getting long.

/ 5 Degrees and need to crank it up #4  
I don't know specifically on these little tractors, but on my truck 2 2 1/2 hours warms it up pretty good.

Regards,
Dave

/ 5 Degrees and need to crank it up #5  
Good Day:
In the winter I let my bx2200 warm up for at least 15 minutes before I start plowing or snow blowing. The tractor lives in a barn and before I even start it I run a kerosene heater aimed at the engine just to increase the oil temp a bit.
I will be switching to synthetic engine oil shortly because of what I have read here. I will continue to use the super udt until the next change and then will switch over to Amsoil.
Stay warm!

/ 5 Degrees and need to crank it up #6  
That's a question I've never really thought about. Since almost all of my plowing is done early in the morning before I go to my "real" job, I just plug Clementine in the night before and she's ready to go in the morning. Sorry I couldn't be more help on that score.

Pete

/ 5 Degrees and need to crank it up #7  
I like the built in block heater for qicker warm ups. Your tractor should be fine but just allow it about a 5 to 10 minute warm up just up from an idle before going to far or putting it under a strain. Use the magnetic heater on the transmission.