BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation #1  

firemailwv

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I made some time this evening to play around with the tractor and install my Wheel Spacers and Skid Plate - both from Bro-tek. Both were well made, but the spacers are absolutely top notch. Perfectly machined. The skid plate was well made, but I did end up making a slight alteration to the design and I like it a whole lot better now.

District 3-20140328-00362.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00366.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00367.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00369.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00371.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00372.jpg
The spacers were very simple to install and really made a difference in footprint width.

Now for the skid plate. Let me explain. My new BX25D had an existing skid plate that did a pretty good job of protecting the plastic fan blade. It was actually a little bit of a challenge to reach your hand back in there to touch the fan. After I realized that the factory skidplate needed to come off prior to installing the Bro-tek skid plate, I began the install. I got the skid plate in place and was surprised that the fan appeared to be much more accessible from the front than it was with just the factory unit. This was because the factory unit mounted at an upward angle towards the underside of the floor pan. The Brotek unit did not have that upward slope and because of that, it was now VERY easy to reach my hand back to the fan. That did not make me very comfortable. I removed the brotek and began the installation of the factory unit back on the tractor. I didn't know what I was going to do with the new one....

But then I began looking at the Brotek and thought, what can I do to make this work? I realized if I bent the front edge up on an angle, I would eliminate the easy access through the front to the fan blade and still enjoy the absolute protection of the transmission filter and rear end housing that the Brotek provided. So out came the tools. It was actually very easy. I used a 14 inch pipe wrench. Starting on one side, I gradually bent the leading edge little by little until I was satisfied.

Below are the results.

District 3-20140328-00381.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00379.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00376.jpgDistrict 3-20140328-00374.jpgIMG-20140328-00378.jpg

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation #2  
Fire is that just the rear underside plate, I thought he also had a front addition to the rear plate making it a 2 piece. I'm going to install the under plate(s) before the deck goes back on and do a service to it too. No fun changing the oil while the deck is on.

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation
Fire is that just the rear underside plate, I thought he also had a front addition to the rear plate making it a 2 piece.

yes, that is just the rear plate; you cannot use the front plate while having the MMM mounted. I don't want the hassle of taking it off and on each time. If I had the front plate, the issue that I addressed would be moot.

I really like the thought of having the entire underbelly protected - there is a lot of stuff under there to get caught. I just wish there was a design that would allow protection all the time and not just when the deck is off. With the deck on, it provides the protection needed; but I wish there was a one time solution that didn't need to be taken on and off.

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation #4  
Fire is that just the rear underside plate, I thought he also had a front addition to the rear plate making it a 2 piece. I'm going to install the under plate(s) before the deck goes back on and do a service to it too. No fun changing the oil while the deck is on.

When I was looking 2 years ago he actually had added a 3rd plate even further forward. I don't do much in the woods, so I just went with the rear one and put on a 1/2" plywood (not osb!) board that hangs on the mower arms like the BXpanded, just to keep fuel and wiring stuff protected a bit.

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation #5  
Looks good, how did you know you wanted the wheel spacers right off the bat?

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation #6  
How do you like the wheel spacers. Im just over the hill from you and was thinking of buying a set and was wondering if they add much stability? They sure look OEM and well made!!

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation #7  
All his stuff is first rate, and the welds are also nuclear grade. I got the thumb, brush forks, belly pan, wheel spacers, and thumb claw. Rich also hardened the thumb contact foot with additional beads.. Very skilled.

/ BX25 wheel spacers and Brotek skid plate installation
Looks good, how did you know you wanted the wheel spacers right off the bat?

last fall I borrowed a coworkers BX to do some work. I had a little scare on my hill using it with a loaded bucket and knew from that point I was going to do all I could to make it more stable if I ever bought a BX. I haven't used the tractor on the hill with them on yet, but I'm quite sure it will help. It is definitely noticeably wider.