Why that funny BX1500 engine???

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
I am in Japan right now and had a chance to go to a Kubota show where a number of different models were on display.

One series, named the Granbia-boy ranges from 17 hp down to 10.5 hp in about five steps.

The 10.5 hp unit had a 2 cylinder engine. It looked like the traditional kubota engine...no funny rotating counter weight on the top like the BX1500 engine has. [I don`t think I got a good picture of the engine... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif]

Anyone have a clue as to why the BX1500 has that strange design [strange to me anyway] when an even smaller 2 cylinder Kubota engine is available without it?

The 13 thru 17 hp engines in this series were all 3 cylinders, by the way.

I do have some pics and will post them after I get back home on turkey day. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After seeing what is available here I keep wondering...why that unusual bx1500 engine???

Anyone know? I`m /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #2  
It's possible that this is the largest 2 cylinder engine and thus hard to balance. 50 pounds(?) of cast iron was cheaper to produce than the labor expense to balance the rotating assembly? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #3  
I'll bet the folks designed the 15 hp with counter weights to please us US types who like smooth running engines!

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #4  
Can you get any pictures of the other BX tractors? It would be interesting to see how they differ. I would love to have a BX brochure that was printed in Japanese or any other foreign language...... Any possibility of getting one????? thanks

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #5  
I haven't seen any two cylinder engines that run real smooth that are diesels.

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine???
<font color="blue"> I haven't seen any two cylinder engines that run real smooth that are diesels. </font>

MAN, I missed my chance! I bet they would have started that little 10.5 HP twin for me...had I asked! Just too much to see and you know how that goes...never think of everything.

But the 13 and 15 HP engines were 3 cilinders...why not put one of them in the bx1500???

Junkman...I don`t think there are any BX series here in Japan. I did talk to one Kubota guy and got the impression that they were designed for GRASS CUTTING. I did not ask specifically if that was for foreign markets...I assume so but have no idea really.

When I get back I will post some pics of those little tractors. I can tell you that even the 10.5 hp tractor was more tractor looking than my bx2200...pretty sure more ground clearance...those Japanes R1s [rice tires?] also make for a more aggressive appearance I suppose.

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #7  
You are correct about the Japanese R1s: rice tires.

Ever wonder why the compact tractors don't have major cast iron components (axles etc)? Because they'd be too heavy for use in the rice patties.

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #8  
I have had a lot of experience with the older 2cyl diesels, and I dont think size matters..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My last 2banger, a MF 210 was something like 78 cu in giving 25hp at the crank, and I found it to be very similar to my old 12.5hp kubota 2banger. Both had a real abrupt idle, but a sweet spot around 1700 if i recall.

Anyhow, I would bet that the reasoning is that americans will use the 1500 for mowing primarily, where noise and vibration need to be minimized.

Jap market tractors are used primarily for tilling in very extreme conditions, so durability and traction are #1. Vibration doesnt make the list I'll bet.

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine??? #9  
Sandyc is on target with his observation about the BX1500 engine. Prior to the intro of the BX1500 the engineers from Japan brought one to our store for us to evaluate. I asked about the counter weight and the large collection box designed as part of the exhaust manifold, the answer I got was that it was to smooth out and quieten the engine to make it more acceptable to the U.S. consumer.

/ Why that funny BX1500 engine???
I wonder if the 13 and 15 hp three-cylinder engines I saw are something new, of if they have been around a while?

Another question I did not think to ask... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif