Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks?

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #1  

otus_branch

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 850
Hi all,

I have a 2006 L-39 that unfortunately has had to spend its whole life outdoors. I have tried to stay religious about regular greasings and lubrication to help offset the problems of weather, but lately have run into some trouble with the zerks on my loader and backhoe. Even at the 10-hour interval, the zerks will often be resistant to accepting grease. For the past few years, a Grease Joint Rejuvenator (the gizmo you fill with penetrating oil and then tap with a hammer) helped open things up, but now even that is not helping enough.

At one zerk, where lower loader arm meets the frame, I was tapping (ok, whacking, with a 16 oz hammer - because it was really clogged!) the Rejuvenator, and rather than open up the zerk, the whole zerk popped out. The zerk itself did not show obvious damage to its threads, so now I am worried that I damaged the internal threads on the loader arm joint. It was too dark by then to look closely, so now I am inquiring to y'all, and will check back on the machine when I have time this weekend.

Have any of you had particular problems with Kubota Zerks? Are there any tricks beyond regular greasing and the Grease Joint Rejuvenator I should be trying? Is it likely that I stripped the threads on my loader arm where the Zerk used to attach?

Besides the loader arm where the Zerk popped oyt, I also have a Zerk at the backhoe that is resisting grease. I decided that night when those two problems cropped up that I needed to figure out the popped Zerk before I go trying to unclog any others.

Incidentally, the Zerk that popped out still seems pretty clogged. Attaching it to the Grease Joint Rejuvenator (while still detached from its hole in the the loader arm) and tapping it some more only let a small amount of oil through. So I am thinking that I might need to clean it/them using a needle or something. Or maybe use a better penetrating oil? So far, I've been using motor oil thinned with a bit of gasoline, but I think I will try straight diesel fuel next time in the Rejuvenator.

My standard greasing practice has been to always clean the Zerk faces with a rag before attaching the grease gun to try to minimize dirt getting in. Grease used has mostly been the John Deere brand of Moly grease, since the Kubota manual calls for Moly and that's the type I could find locally.

Advice welcomed. Thanks,

-otus

Last edited:
   / Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #2  
Those little fittings are really cheap. Any auto parts store should have the size and angle that you need. I have one on my loader arm that's loose. I looked at my neighbors B3300 the other day and he has two that are loose also. Wouldn't you know, they're in the angled part of the frame. One of these days, I may drop the loader and change the fitting.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #3  
I'am having problems with grease zerks also. Should they screw out of the fitting or are they the pop out type? I have a Kubota L2800 with a front end loader. I cant seem to find the right size wrench.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #4  
I have issues with any zerks if they came from China, ditto with the grease gun coupler. I just don't remember these issues on older machinery. Where I work we have machinery from all over the world and being in a factory they never see rain. Yet anything made from about 2000 on up zerks stick or grease comes out around the coupler on the gun. Older machinery no such issue.

That being said, your grease also can harden. Need a good quality grease that won't dry out. We use Kendal Super Blu at work, and a friend of mine uses Deere grease on his farm. Both seem to work great for what they are needed for.

If you look under the lube forum here there is a lot of grease threads.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #5  
Try screwing a new one in. If the threads on loader are stripped, you can drill and tap it for the next size up easily.
Before getting too aggressive with that tool, take the zerk out and check it by forcing grease through it and check the hole by jamming some bailing wire in. I never had luck with those tools.
If both are ok, sometimes a joint gets kinda tight and wont let grease in good. You can run it through its range of motion and try greasing.
Dont get crazy on a grease gun with a whip hose, a guy at work did that and had grease injected into his face.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #6  
I have issues with any zerks if they came from China, ditto with the grease gun coupler. I just don't remember these issues on older machinery. Where I work we have machinery from all over the world and being in a factory they never see rain. Yet anything made from about 2000 on up zerks stick or grease comes out around the coupler on the gun. Older machinery no such issue.

I totally agree. I even bought a new grease gun couple years ago and it always leaked around the coupler. So I bought a new coupler. It leaked too.

So, I went to JD and bought another new gun. Don't remember what I paid but it was twice what I'd paid for the other one. The JD gun is hanging on the wall with a pointed tip fitting on it. I only use it if I have to. It leaks everywhere. After two tubes of grease so much grease had bypassed the plunger that now if you pull the handle all the way back grease squirts out around the rod....... :(

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #7  
I've had grease fittings that would not take any grease when the pin was loaded against the fitting hole. Repositioning the equipment a bit had the same fitting accept grease readily.

I've also had equipment that was not used often where the grease fitting was removed after service. The hole pluged with a pipe plug until the next time. Then, the plug was removed and a clean Alemite nipple was fitted. Greasing was easily accomplished without head aches.

Zerk fitting? I did a quick inter web search. Not a photo of an authentic Zerk fitting. Alemite get's so little credit, though they dominate the market.

Common usage corrupts the identity ...Poor O.Zerk, the miss application of his name has likely killed him...

PS. Dirt and dust caps on the fittings between greasings will keep the fitting clean AND keep the grease from drying out. Dirt and debris pulls the oil out of grease faster than a cat can kick it's wiskers. The soap that is left behind can dry hard as ...well, a cake of soap!

put caps on the hard ones!

pss
I've had good luck heating the cranky fittings with a propane torch. Softens up the tired old stuff and allow the new grease in.

Last edited:
   / Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #8  
The zerk does not fail to take grease because of external dirt/dust. It fails because of metal grindings mixed with old grease that setup into a mixture much harder than the gun has the ability to displace.

When this condition is bad enough, the only fix is to take the assembly apart and clean all pieces.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #9  
Just had a fitting break off, lucky it came out with an easy out. I bought a selection of grease fittings from Grainger or somewhere like that, I just replace them when I have problems. The tricky part is knowing whether they're SAE or metric. Surprisingly on my kubota loader they are SAE. Not sure what's on the tractor itself, never had to replace any.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #10  
By the way, you can adjust the clamping force on the nozzle of your grease gun. Tighten or loosen the cap ring at the end. You might need pliers to get a grip and loosen it up. For some reason the tip is always slippery.