BX1870 and ROPS

/ BX1870 and ROPS #1  

dgreen215

Tractor
Kubota BX1870, john deere lx255
Anyone ever remove the ROPS because it gets in the way? I was thinking about it. My land is flat and for mowing I don't need it. When I use the FEL I keep the load low when moving around so I don't see how I could ever tip over.

/ BX1870 and ROPS #2  
It's often tempting. Does anyone else ever use your tractor? Kids? Grandkids? They may not be as cautious.

/ BX1870 and ROPS #3  
Lots and lots of people used tractors without rops for decades before they were standard equipment. You could likely get away with it too, but at your own risk.

The same can be said for seatbelts and airbags in cars.

/ BX1870 and ROPS #4  
Anyone ever remove the ROPS because it gets in the way? I was thinking about it. My land is flat and for mowing I don't need it. When I use the FEL I keep the load low when moving around so I don't see how I could ever tip over.

If you did not have a FEL, I would go for it, BUT since you have the FEL I would not. Like you my land is flat as a previous corn field, but I had some close calls when using the FEL and would not risk it. Trees branches can be trimmed you or a family loved one's neck of other body part can not.

/ BX1870 and ROPS
Yea i will probably leave it and trim all the trees. Thanks

/ BX1870 and ROPS #6  
I use a BX for orchard work and it would be simply impossible to use it with the ROPS. In fact snagging the ROPS on a sturdy overhead object can cause the tractor to tip. When using the FEL I make sure to have an implement on the back for counterweight and use all due caution. I do have hilly ground so must be real careful even without the FEL when mowing side hills. I have actually tested the tipping point of my BX1500 with MMM by stopping crosswise on my steepest hill, getting off, and gently lifting the uphill side to see how near the tipping point I was. Answer was it was not close to tipping at all. But of course you need to allow a real big safety factor because running over a squirrel hole or hidden piece of firewood will drastically change the tilt.

/ BX1870 and ROPS #7  
I dont run with mine right now but plan on cutting like a foot out of it then re installing it and run it most all the time. the dealer said if you roll it with out the ROPS even O'Js loyer could not help you.

/ BX1870 and ROPS #8  
My friends father removed his, he's dead now....