SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
When my M9540 had 50hrs on it I changed hydraulic/trans fluid and put in Universal Hydraulic Fluid. $6 per gallon.

The most noticeable thing was slow movement when cranked cold (30 degrees F). Also got some whining if engine was revved before warming. A little hard to shift gears unless the foot clutch was depressed as well as hydraulic shuttle shifted to neutral.

At 600hrs I changed hydraulic/trans fluid again and put in SUDT2. $21 per gallon. Only having operated the tractor in warm weather I can't address the cold issues yet. I do notice it's easier to shift gears. Also changes direction a little smoother when using the hydraulic shuttle without foot clutch. I didn't notice any difference in hydraulic functions such as FEL or TnT.

Can't make a totally fair assessment until I operate the tractor in cold weather. I've read all the "fluid war" threads and thought I'd get some first hand experience.

Today, not worth the cost difference. Might feel better about it next Winter

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #2  
Fluid is better than NO fluid...:D

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #3  
I have heard that SUDT2 makes the HST much quieter, I would switch if that is true. Can anyone confirm?

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #4  
I have heard that SUDT2 makes the HST much quieter, I would switch if that is true. Can anyone confirm?

Several members have reported it when SUDT2 came out.. Can I confirm it?.. No, I can't. I will be looking for your post though:D

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #5  
I can my L3940 is a whole new tractor with SUDT2 in it.

Much quieter HST operation, smoother direction changes, better loader control and best of all it help reduce the sticking third function. Not healed but a thousand times better.

Very worth while investment.

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #6  
Oh and that was at the 400 hour point, I have 500 or so now still loving the sudt2

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #7  
Well there you go, another happy SUDT2 user. It makes sense that it would have benefits, or they would not have come out with it.

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #8  
I'm 80 hrs from my 400 hr service. Planning on giving the sudt2 a whirl. I'll say this, when it comes to the next filter change after, I'm sure gonna plan on the vacuum trick so I don't lose that liquid gold.... Spendy stuff, thinking about starting to accumulate the 12gal or so that I need early so I don't take such a hit on my pocketbook....

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #9  
I have SUDT2 in my M8540 paid $89 plus tax per 5 gallons. I experience the same cold cold issues you describe when temps are below ~15°F. Pump Whine above 1400 - 1500 rpm when cold. only way to shift easily is to move the shuttle lever to neutral pushing the clutch does not allow for smooth gear changes. Might as well forget range changes for the first 20 minutes the lever freezes in place most of the time. I might try full synthetic AMSOIL tractor hydraulic fluid next time.

/ SUDT2 versus Universal Hydraulic Fluid #10  
The SUDT2 has less zinc than the older fluids. Zinc is a great anti wear additive, but with it comes phosphorous.

SUDT2 contains alkyl borate. An ester. This lowers friction and wear by large margins. Less noise, wear and tear, and better cold flow ability with SUDT2.