M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says....

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #1  

bilrus61

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 4200
On my M7040 the books says it holds 11.6 quarts or just about a pint less than 3 galllons. Ok. Well was doing the 35 hour oil change on my new M7040 and went to fill it up with 3 gallons of Kubota 15W40 oil. I had drained the used oil into buckets, changed the filter too. Tractor was maybe a fraction low in the front and high in the back but about as level as I can get it. Poured all 3 gallon jugs in and its exactly half-way between the marks on the stick.....it was full on the dip stick before I changed the oil.

So I poured the used oil back into the Kubota gallon jugs and it filled them to the very top of two and almost to the top on another. I would guess the tractor will hold about 3.3 gallons or 12.3 quarts to get it to the top of the stick. So is Kubota saying that the 11.6 quarts gets you to the bottom full mark on the stick or what? I know its not good to overfill a diesel crankcase but I'm already .4 over the listed volume and still have about 3/4" left to go on the dip stick to hit the "full" mark. Has anyone else found that that Kubota lowballs the oil volume in their manuals?

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #2  
Many people have reported the opposite although not for sure on your model. Many complain that after adding the book specified amount they are overfilled and drain to get down to the full mark. My 4 Kubotas are over full with the recommended amount.

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #3  
Trust the dipstick. And no reason to sweat the small difference in oil volume.

Now, if you put in a gallon of extra oil then there may be some concern.

Also, some manufacturers give a different value for oil volume depending on whether the filter is changed or not. Kubota doesn't do that however.

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #4  
bilrus61,mkreitler glad to here you have a M7040.I have one also and love it,on the crankcase oil volume when I did my first oil and filter change at 10 hrs.i too said the same thing you said I drained more oil out than the 11.6 quarts the book said it holds. So I called my dealer to inquire about the matter and was told to go with the book.Well when the tractor was delivered with 2 hrs.on it the first thing I always do drive it in the garage and park it.Let it set for a day if possible then check everything yourself,fluids,tirepressure,lug bolts,all hoses,hitch pins,grease zirks,for grease,filters for leaks,take pictures,check for damage of any kind etc.Also a wash and wax.Well while checking the engine oil level I noticed it to be low by 1.5 qts.so I filled it to the full mark on the dip stick thinking all it was the dealer never checked to see on the proper oil level.That is one reason to check and go over it yourself that's the only way you know for sure.Getting back to the crankcase oil volume after the dain was complete over eight hours.I bought 3 gallons of 15-40 CHEVRON DELO 400 LE only to discover that 11.6 qts.does not put it at the full mark on the dip stick.Next I call KUBOTA TECK in TEXAS and talk to one of the teck people explained to him what I discovered and was told that when you change oil & filter and let it dain complety . Was told by KUBOTA teck that the 11.6qts. was the min.safe level.The full level by that I mean to the full mark on the dipstick on my tractor was 13.5 qts. So when I told the tech that was told always go by the full mark on the dipstick REGAULDLESS of what the book says.After 35 hrs.later still at the full level on the stick with no issues. Hope this helps .

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #5  
I have the M6040. My manual, like yours, says 11.6 quarts. It takes exactly 14 quarts when I do an oil/filter change to bring it to the full mark on the dip stick. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle that takes the exact amount as specified in the owners manual. Go by the dip stick!!

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says....
Thanks guys!! I mowed with it today and will top it off with Kubota 15w40 later. Mowed just about a hour with it today. That Landpride 3696 cutter is a monster. It chews up 10-12 foot cherry trees and spits out wood chips on a mown lawn. Thats the best way to describe it. The cut it leaves is good enough for a "country" lawn.

Glad to hear I wasn't wrong on the oil. I sure was puzzled there for a bit.

I changed my oil at 35 hours. Manual said too do it at 50. But many of the hours I've put on have been break-in hours of just cruising around the farm varying the RPMs. So according the manual I'm not to to change the oil filter till 600 hours??:eek: Fat chance on that Kubota. Filter will get changed with each oil change and Oil will be changed about every 200 hours.

Really love the tractor. I'm disabled and in a wheelchair and have a smaller Kubota with the glide-shift. The hydro-reverser on the M7040 is very workable but for safety sake I just keep it in the low range whenever I'm mowing. To stop it I pull back on the reverser to neutral and then hit the brake with a crutch. With practice you can do it might quick. For my work here on our farm the high range,even in 1st/5th, whatever you want to call that first gear in high range, is too fast. While the power reverser transmisson is workable for me, the glide-shift is the perfect transmisson for someone with limited use of their legs.

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #7  
Couldn't agree more on your maintenance schedule. Changing the oil AND filter is relatively cheap compared to the results of the alternative.

Also, don't forget to change your "tractor" list to include the M7040!!

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #8  
If you don't go by the dipstick it will be a pain in the rear to monitor your oil level between changes.

/ M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #9  
Don't make it more difficult than it has to be. Go by the dipstick!

Been farming all my life, don't even have a book on some of my old farm tractors. Some have more than 10,000 hours on them with no engine work done. Just fill it up to the dipstick and change it regularly. 200 hours should be fine, depending on conditions.

If you want to go to extended oil change periods, get oil samples and have them tested.

Last edited:
   / M7040 crankcase oil volume,book says.... #10  
This is the oddest thing that the M7040 takes more or less oil than the book suggests. On my first oil oil change at 50 hours, I put in 11.6 to the full mark on the dipstick when the book says 11.3quarts. On an oil change yesterday, the engine was good and hot and I let it drain for 30 minutes. On the fill, I've put in nearly 12 quarts so far and only on the middle of the marks on the dipstick. How can this be so different? Is there something in the engine that causes oil to hang up? Maybe it was just my extended drain time?

How can it vary two quarts within dipstick marks from oil change to oil change? Whats up with that?

bilrus61,mkreitler glad to here you have a M7040.I have one also and love it,on the crankcase oil volume when I did my first oil and filter change at 10 hrs.i too said the same thing you said I drained more oil out than the 11.6 quarts the book said it holds. So I called my dealer to inquire about the matter and was told to go with the book.Well when the tractor was delivered with 2 hrs.on it the first thing I always do drive it in the garage and park it.Let it set for a day if possible then check everything yourself,fluids,tirepressure,lug bolts,all hoses,hitch pins,grease zirks,for grease,filters for leaks,take pictures,check for damage of any kind etc.Also a wash and wax.Well while checking the engine oil level I noticed it to be low by 1.5 qts.so I filled it to the full mark on the dip stick thinking all it was the dealer never checked to see on the proper oil level.That is one reason to check and go over it yourself that's the only way you know for sure.Getting back to the crankcase oil volume after the dain was complete over eight hours.I bought 3 gallons of 15-40 CHEVRON DELO 400 LE only to discover that 11.6 qts.does not put it at the full mark on the dip stick.Next I call KUBOTA TECK in TEXAS and talk to one of the teck people explained to him what I discovered and was told that when you change oil & filter and let it dain complety . Was told by KUBOTA teck that the 11.6qts. was the min.safe level.The full level by that I mean to the full mark on the dipstick on my tractor was 13.5 qts. So when I told the tech that was told always go by the full mark on the dipstick REGAULDLESS of what the book says.After 35 hrs.later still at the full level on the stick with no issues. Hope this helps .