Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas?

/ Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas? #21  
Same thing happened to my L5740 at 150 hours and it was replaced under warranty. The WSM calls for removing the cab, but the mechanics were able to replace it without doing that.

TripleR
Which dealer that did this work? I just purchased a L5740 with this same issue. I'm near Jackson, Mo.
Thanks,
Darrell

Last edited:
   / Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas? #22  
image-4292481561.jpg

/ Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas? #23  
image-1989404157.jpg

/ Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas? #24  
1. The seal in my 3240 was leaking when I bought it, and over the course of another 40 hours of use it slowly got worse. Eventually it was losing about a quart every couple of hours, and that's when I decided to fix it, but I didn't feel like I was in any hurry. It was mostly a cosmetic issue, but the hydraulic fluid isn't cheap either, and I couldn't park the tractor on concrete without leaving behind a mess. I also didn't want the thing to get a lot worse in the middle of a job that I couldn't afford to stop, so over the Christmas holiday I started in on the repair and had it done early in the new year. Not much fun working in a cold garage, but cold was still 40F and not really that bad.

2. As mentioned in my previous post, I decided to fix it myself. I'm retired, and these days I have more time than money. The dealership was very nice about giving access to their mechanic, and in helping get the parts ordered, so we both benefited. Faced with the same situation, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again the same way.

3. That's a better estimate than I got. It probably took me double the amount of hours, but I'd never done that job before, and I spent a lot of time cleaning parts prior to reassembly and fixing other problems I discovered along the way. I also made some mistakes that cost me delays caused by having to order parts I damaged during disassembly. Even with that, though, I was able to do the job for about 1/10 the estimated cost. That in itself was worth it to me, and now I feel like I know a lot more about the machine, and have more confidence in my ability to fix it should the occasion arise again (and as under engineered as these things are, I'm sure I will).

so I have discovered the same problem on my tractor. called the dealer and they want $2500 to $3500 to fix it.(depending on what they find they said) what if I just remove the split plug and put a solid one in. will it do harm to have hydraulic fluid just sitting in there?. Don't want to cause a total failure but don't have no $3000 or the tool and know how to do it myself. tractor still seems to run fine but that amount leaking out is getting worse every day.

/ Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas? #25  
You would have to keep adding oil in the rearend and soon the oil well get to the clutch. When it does the only fix would be a new clutch, but if you do wait that long the labor should be very little more to repair both at the same time. If you can't fix right now leave the drain open and just keep adding oil to the rearend making sure you don't let it run out of oil.

/ Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas? #26  
Pallet jack makes a perfect way to do this job. I had to do this job on my 08 L3240 cab. Make sure you replace the bottom propeller shaft seal,sleeve two orings as well as new input shaft, and seal housing gasket. Mine was leaking from input shaft seal. My seal was totally worn out at 1700 hours. I used a pallet jack and welded 2 pieces of channel iron to the pallet jack and it make the split so easy. The hyd lines are the worst part. Take lots of pics and label all bolts with a organizer tray. Job can be done with cab on. Btw my clutch looked new still at 1700 hrs.

1485750912292.jpg1485750980194.jpg

/ Grand L4740 hydraulic fluid leak. Ideas? #27  
Pallet jack makes a perfect way to do this job. I had to do this job on my 08 L3240 cab. Make sure you replace the bottom propeller shaft seal,sleeve two orings as well as new input shaft, and seal housing gasket. Mine was leaking from input shaft seal. My seal was totally worn out at 1700 hours. I used a pallet jack and welded 2 pieces of channel iron to the pallet jack and it make the split so easy. The hyd lines are the worst part. Take lots of pics and label all bolts with a organizer tray. Job can be done with cab on. Btw my clutch looked new still at 1700 hrs.

View attachment 496946View attachment 496947
Actually i used angle not channel. But either would work fine.