La402 and lift ability

/ La402 and lift ability #1  

JoeR

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HSTC
Question:

I have a B2710 with LA402 loader. I need to move a 23' long 2ft wide, 1800lb piece of metal. I don't think the LA402 can lift it, but can it hold it? I contemplated using the loader as a point to attach a hoist so that I could use the tractor to then move the metal... If not, any other ideas on how to move this piece of metal from a tight spot onto a trailer?

Thanks,

Joe

/ La402 and lift ability #2  
Could you drag it out, lift one end with the loader and get the trailer under it, and then rotate it on the trailer somehow? You probaby could lift one end, since half the weigh would be supported on the ground at the other end.

I doubt the la402 will lift that much, seeing that it is rated at something like 900 lbs. Not sure of using it as a hoisting point, but you certainly would not want to burst a hose and have the lift crash down without warning...

Also, whatever you do, make sure you have enough weight on the back to keep the rear tires on the ground!

/ La402 and lift ability #3  
You're right, your loader cannot lift that. And no way I'd try your other idea; it might work, but it also might seriously damage you and/or the tractor and/or the loader and/or all the above.

/ La402 and lift ability #4  
I'd go to a rental place and rent a piece of equipment that has the capability of the lift.

My 5030 with the LA856 loader would have it's hands full with that piece of metal.

Any item, 23 foot long, would be quite unstable when lifted with a FEL. You might lift one end with the proper loader and then back a trailer under it, but to dead lift a 23 foot long anything and then try to move with it is inviting disaster.

/ La402 and lift ability #5  
I agree with Daryl and the others; I wouldn't try to lift it. Last summer with my old 1750 I moved a couple of 20+ foot long tree trunks. I used ratcheting tie downs to hook onto the FEL at their center of balance, lifted them one at a time, and slowly drove across the field from the barn to the edge of the woods. On one trip the uneveness of the field caused some bounce and one tree tipped and the end caught the dirt and dug in, spinning the whole thing around. I got it back on track, but was lucky I didn't tear my whole front end apart. I did ruin a couple of perfectly good tie downs, though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And those trees weighed a fraction of that beam.

/ La402 and lift ability #6  
Have you thought about some come alongs and rollers?

Egon

/ La402 and lift ability
Yes I have thought about come alongs and rollers. The problem is the object is parallel to a building, so I need to lift it and move it away, otherwise I am unable to get a trailer close enough to load it.

I thought about a tow truck, but maybe a larger FEL from a rental place would do the job... After reading some of the replies, I am better off spending the money and playing it safe. If I rent a larger FEL, it's just more fun since I get to play with a bigger toy! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks,

Joe

/ La402 and lift ability #8  
I have a B2910 with the LA 402 loader. And to lift one end of that is on the very edge of the FEL's capabilities. But, I would try to slide the bucket under one end, curl the bucket back lifting the object a few inches (with the bottom of the bucket on the ground), then very carefully run a chain under that end. Then go to the other end and repeat the process. Then hook both chains to the drawbar of the tractor and gently ease it away from the building. If you have a problem with traction you can jam your toothbar into the ground and use the curling motion of the FEL to help you get started. After you get it away from the building your options for moving it farther, increase.
If that doesn't work, then I would go to a larger piece of equipment. But be very careful, with that much weight you can do a lot of damage very quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif