Snow SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #11  
See my recent posts 'Of Snow and FELs and Such' and the popular sequel 'OSaFaS, Part 2' for my exploits plowing over 2 feet of snow for the first time on a long, steep, hardpack driveway with a new B7800, using only the FEL and my keen ability to construct a small thermonuclear device using only some twine, two cotter pins and a piece of reflective tape.

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #12  
Some places 14" to 3' thanks to the wind..ended up w/22" when all said and done. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Just hooked up the plow and set it at 45 degree than low range plus lite cigar,and 3 hours later the snow banks were push back..250' driveway plus 4 vechicle parking area also the shed area...heck the hardest was blowing out couple paths to deer feeding station...oh I did stop couple time for a hot cup. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3.1F..Clear sky..1 deer feeding. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #13  
We got a mere 4" here not even enought to have fun in. I guess that I will have to trailer the blower & Bota some place just so I can have some fun.

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #14  
We got 14 -18 inches in SE NH. I used a BX2200 with turf tires, FEL and a ballast box on the 3 pt hitch. I plowed 3 times. Deepest was about 10 inches Sunday morning. No trouble with traction. (I did got stuck due to operator error - left one tire hanging over an embankment)
The BX is great but it takes a long time. I have a 300 foot drive that opens up to 60 feet by the garage and house. The bucket fills quickly and must be emptied often.
I found my walkbehind snowblower to be much more efficient on the long straight stretch. The BX was great up by the house were placement of the "thrown" snow becomes an issue. So I think from now on I will use both.

Phil

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #15  
Philnh5:

Because of the small bucket on the fel for the 2200 I bought a front snow blower for my 2200. Between the blower and a front blade, I can handle my 300 foot drive with parking area in half an hour or so.
Using a blower, as you already know, means that you don't have to hire a large piece of equipment to push the banks back later in the winter....a real plus and reduction in cost!

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #16  
Phil,

I do exactly the same thing as you. I have two driveways one circular drive in front of the house and one down to my attached garage. For the long stretches with a foot + of snow, a blower is much more efficient. For the areas where the road plow comes through by the street, and the snow is dense and heavy the fel works great. Near the garage and in tight areas the fel also works nicely. I have not used my machine in a small snow, 3" or so, but I suspect it would perform decently as the bucket would not fill as quickly. Since it is only the secend week in December, I am sure I will have the opportunity to try it in other situations before the season is over.

Tom

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #17  
In between tractors... Deere 750 is gone... Kubota L3130 with heated cab not ready yet... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Used my backup... 8HP single-stage BCS walk-behind tractor with snowblower attachment on the 11" here...

Usually use front loader & 6' rear box blade... it is nice not having piles of snow though... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

103828871ydUhNi_ph.jpg

Dave...

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES
HELLO TO ALL,
my thanks to everyone that replied. i could not get use to
dealing with that much snow. here in east central missouri, we
do not have that. the last big snow i can remember was in 1981.
that was about 12inches.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #19  
By the time the storm blew past, we had a total of 25" of dry fluff. Using the rear blade it took me about an hour to do both driveways, a quarter mile of road, and a path to the sheep shelter and chicken coop for my wife. In conditions like these I simply angle the rear blade and drive forward thru the snow, pushing it to the side a little more each time. It takes three passes to clear the road, but it goes fast. I don't use the FEL much at all, except when sculpting the annual bobsled run. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wet, heavy snow slows me down some.

Pete

/ SNOW REMOVAL IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES #20  
I'm glad it snowed in the North East! My wife and I are headed to Maine for some rest, relaxation and sledding (snowmobiling) in 2 weeks. Never been there, but very much looking forward to it! We were hoping we'd have snow to sled on. Looks like we will. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John