Chains Here Are Some Reference Prices on Tire Chains

/ Here Are Some Reference Prices on Tire Chains #1  

narcnh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 7800
After moving over two feet of snow on a steep driveway this weekend and almost getting stuck a few times, I did a little research on prices for tire chains today. These are for my B7800 with turf tires (24x8.5-14 front, 13.6-16 rear). I priced both front and rear chains.

1) Local Dealer: Standard 4-link ladder chains (cross chain every fourth link) - $203 for rears. He did not recommend front chains, because they would loosen things in the front end from the bumpy ride. Seemed like a weak argument for a tractor, but what the hey.

2) Tirechains.com: $116 for 4-link ladder chains for the rear tires and $221 for 2-link ladder chains (cross chain every other link). $50 for the front tires 4-link and $78 for 2-link.

3) St. Pierre Mg. Co., Worcester, MA, 508-853-8010: $155 for 4-link carbon steel rears and $360 for alloy chains. $123 for 4-link front carbon steel and $216 for alloy. They wouldn't even quote for the 2-link, because they said they were a LOT more expensive.

So, I decided to go with the 2-link chains from tirechains.com, figuring I can always get them for the front later, if I decide I need them. The 2-link chains will grip a little better and are supposed to give a less bumpy ride. I figure I am going to have them on for a good six months, so I should make sure I am relatively confortable (call me soft). I also ordered the spring tensioners. They are supposed to arrive Wednesday. I will post my experience with them relative to going chainless, but that probably won't be until next weekend.

Hope this information is useful to someone.

/ Here Are Some Reference Prices on Tire Chains #2  
narcnh
B27-2910 and I would guess B7800 with turf tires have a clearance problem with tire chains. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Here are a couple of threads that covers these items.
Click Here
Click Here
Another one about 27-2910 chains. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Click Here

/ Here Are Some Reference Prices on Tire Chains #3  
narcnh
Like was mentioned before, watch the clearance under the tractor. I have gotten away without using a spacer between the wheel and the hub by setting the inside loop/connection as loose as it could be and then taking the slack up on the outside of the tire by using a very strong spreader and rope. This will allow the inside loop to ride up pretty high on the shoulder of the tire and get you a bit of room to clear axles and other items. Sounds confusing but if you fuss with the chains you'll see how to do it.
In the long run I bit the bullet and bought a 'Bota made spacer which was easy to install and use. Guess they have had this issue before.

/ Here Are Some Reference Prices on Tire Chains
Thanks for the advice and the links, guys. I actually have spacers already on my rear tires. The dealer recommended them, when I ordered my tractor, since he saw my driveway, knew I'd be plowing and that I would eventually buy a set of chains. So, I had them installed and ready when I bought it. Hopefully, the chains will fit snug on my larger turf tires, but I'll cut 'em if I have to.

/ Here Are Some Reference Prices on Tire Chains #5  
<font color="blue"> I actually have spacers already on my rear tires. The dealer recommended them, when I ordered my tractor, </font>

narcnh

Can you get some information from your dealer on the spacers and post it on TBN? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Here Are Some Reference Prices on Tire Chains
Hi Ron,

What do you want to know about them? I can ask my dealer. They are pretty basic, I think, esentially just axle extender that you bolt your wheels to. They push the tires out several inches on each side, so if you have any tight fits currently, keep that in mind. With them on I didn't even come close to the fenders with chains on my turfs. As I mentioned, I had them installed at purchase and they cost $400 installed. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif