Bent rear axle. Options?

/ Bent rear axle. Options? #1  

timebak

Bronze Member
Our farm near Muscle Shoals, Alabama...FINALLY!!!
Tractor
RK37SC & John Deere 2030
Just over two weeks ago I bought a well-used BX2230 with 1500 hours. It was all I could afford, and I bought it "where is, as is". I've bought several used tractors over the years, so this ain't my first rodeo. Anyway, two days ago I noticed when mowing the one very small flat area of my yard that the left side of the cut varied up and down somewhat, or so it seemed. This afternoon I dropped the deck so that I could give it a thorough servicing and decided to check out everything under the belly of the tractor. The brakes needed adjusting so I had the tractor up on the lift to give me more working room, and I spun the rear wheels by hand.

I noticed the left rear wobbling quite a bit. But I wasn't too concerned because I thought it was probably a warped wheel, but it got to eating at me, so out comes the impact wrench and off comes the wheel. I spun the right side and watched the left side and the dang left axle is bent. Measuring off the top flange of the hub, it's got a total of 0.282" of runout in it, which equates to 0.141" of warpage in the axle.

The way I see it, I've got three options:
1). Take it to a dealer and let them fix it, which probably means a transaxle teardown and replacement of the axle. I have no idea what that might cost. If anyone can give me a swag on that, I'd like to hear it.

2). Tear it down and fix it myself, replacing the bent axle. Again, I have no idea what parts might cost or how difficult that might be. I've rebuilt quite a few engines, a couple of automotive transmissions, have plenty of tools, a cool garage to do it in, and I have a shop manual for the tractor.

3). Try to straighten the axle myself without tearing down the transaxle. My initial idea would be to set the axle down on a heavy duty jack stand placed up close to the outboard end of the transaxle housing, next to the outer oil seal. Rotate the axle so that the warpage is upwards (the maximum displacement of the flange is at the highest vertical point). The jack stand would serve as a fulcrum to greatly reduce the load on the transaxle housing while bending the axle/hub downward. To bend the axle, I'd make a tool by fabricating a heavy "hub" plate that has the wheel lug hole pattern in it, then weld a stout pipe or beam to the fabricated hub plate, plano-perpendicular to the plate. Then bolt the hub-plate of the tool to the axle hub with the lug bolts (or regular hex bolts with the proper thread pitch and diameter). Then, with the warpage upwards, and the axle stand in place as a fulcrum, push downwards on the end of the pipe or beam "handle" of the tool and, if all goes well, I might be able straighten the axle sufficiently without snapping it off or fracturing the transaxle housing. Any ideas if this might work?

I'm open to suggestions, and I'd really like to hear from folks that have really been into some of the BX and small sized Kubota transaxles and have BTDT.

Also, I noticed when I got the deck off, that both the left side and right side deck lift latches and linkage have been welded on. And the deck appears newer than the tractor. I'm wondering if this tractor didn't fall off a trailer going down the highway.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

/ Bent rear axle. Options? #3  
Considering that the axle is not 'too pricey'... and that you appear to be lucky that the axle housing was not already cracked... I think I would leave well enough alone and replace the axle, sounds like you have the tools, shop & enough know how... Post pictures, everyone likes seeing inside tractors... KennyV

/ Bent rear axle. Options? #4  
I agree. Just replace it. I would be afraid of damaging the housing trying to straighten it. And it would likely just bend again if not break.

/ Bent rear axle. Options? #5  
I suspect if you try to straighten it on the tractor you will end up with more broken and a axle that is still bent. I would either replace it or take it out and try to straighten it on a press, depending on where it is bent.

/ Bent rear axle. Options? #6  
I agree with replace it.A year or so ago I had to repair the dif lock on my B7800 and was pretty intimidated until I got into it.You will find that it is easier than you probably think and a whole lot cheaper than paying a dealer.We're really fortunate to have Messick"s for parts.

/ Bent rear axle. Options? #7  
I agree trying to straighten in place puts the housing at risk. I would take the axle out and straighten it with a press. The diagram implies that if you pry out the side seal there's a circlip holding the bearing and axle in the housing. It will require draining the case. As always, prompt cheerful refund if info is bogus. Good luck,

Attachments

• BX2320 axle.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
   / Bent rear axle. Options? #8  
As far as the deck goes, I know on the earlier BX's the mounts were inside the arms & on the later models (I think it started with the 50 series) they were on the outside.
I've heard of others who welded the arms or mounts to fit a deck on a different series.

/ Bent rear axle. Options? #9  
If you have rebuilt an automotive transmission I am sure you will be ok.
It doesn't help you, but I sure would like to see some pictures of the insides.

/ Bent rear axle. Options?
Called two different Kubota dealers. One said the transaxle absolutely HAD to come out and that one of the circlips that released the axle was up inside the differential carrier assembly. The other dealer said that all you did was pry out the axle oil seal, release the external circlip in the end of the axle housing and then tap on the inside of the flange or use a slide hammer and the axle and bearing would come right out. Both said that they had never heard of anyone bending an axle on a BX2230. They both said it wouldn't surprise them if that axle was that way from the factory, because any force that could bend that axle should have broken the transaxle housing as well.

So now I don't know what to do. If I pry out the oil seal, I'm committed, because there ain't no way of getting an oil seal out without ruining it. If the axle won't come out, then I've GOT to pull the transaxle assembly and tear it down before I can use the tractor again. If I HAVE to pull and tear down the transaxle, then I want to wait until after mowing season.

Another thing I found was the front boot is completely gone off the driveshaft and the HST cooling fan is missing two blades. So I'm going to have to pull off the seat/floorpan/fender assembly and pull the driveshaft out and refurbish it. I'm gonna have to do that right away, so I don't ruin the end of the driveshaft from dirt getting up inside that front CV joint.

By the way, thanks to all of you who have responded. I'm still looking for definitive answers, so if anyone knows for sure how those axles come out I'd really, really like to know.

Tim