Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #1  

kcoburn

Bronze Member
Tractor
5240HSTC and B7610
A neighbor is considering buying a used Grasshopper mower with a 29hp Kubota gas engine. He has a Grasshopper with a Kohler and it's giving him continuous grief. He asked me what I knew about the Kubota gas engines,. I've had 4 diesels but no experience with their gas stuff.
How do they compare? Is their reliability anything like the diesels? How does gas consumption compare with comparable gas engines? Are parts readily available? Are there any watchouts, weaknesses to be aware of?

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #2  
Sorry to hear you're having a problem with the Kohler. I have a Grasshopper 723K H2 that I bought in 2006. It has been perfect!
Other than sharpening blades and changing oil / filter regularly, I have not had to buy a single part for it.
Has his problems only been with the engine?
Kohler and Kubota engines have been very reliable, so if he has his heart set on getting the diesel, I'm sure it would be good.
If he's buying used, all bets are off, since you have no idea what the previous owner has done with it.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Attachments

• Grasshopper723K2.JPG
    Grasshopper723K2.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 538
   / Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines
He's considering trading the machine with the troublesome Kohler for a used machine with the Kubota gas engine-not diesel. If it was a diesel Kubota , I'd tell him to get it. But I have no knowledge of their gas engines.
HarryN- what engine does your 732K H2 have?

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #4  
It is a 723K H2 Kohler Command Pro-23 (23hp Air-Cooled Overhead Valve Engine)

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #5  
How do they compare? Is their reliability anything like the diesels? How does gas consumption compare with comparable gas engines?

Kubota web page claims the gas engines are made on the same block as their diesels but I find lots of online posts that say kubota gas is just a kohler. The difference in fuel consumption, especially in that HP range, between a gas and diesel engine is amazing. I would say my 25HP Kawasaki gas engine uses at least 3 times the fuel as my 27hp diesel in terms of hours of operation at cutting speed. I might be exaggerating because I've never checked carefully, but it sure seems that way. A diesel will still be running strong when the gas engine is in the shop for it's second rebuild.

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #6  
Kubota gas engines in Hoppers are liquid cooled. They are basically like a diesel engine except gas. They are well made and should last a long time. They are not a cheap engine like a Briggs, Kohler, Kawi, they are more similar to a gas tractor or car engine. They will burn more fuel than Diesel.

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #7  
We have a gas engine in the RTV 500. It has been flawless for us. It does only have 400 hours so far, but we've been very, very happy with it.

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #8  
My mom's old GHopper had the 21 Kubota gas on it and it put on 2400 FLAWLESS hours befor we sold it off and the guy just still loves it. When folks say the Kubota's are just Kholers they are talking about the AIR COOLED "kubota" engines made by Kohler. The three cylender liquid cooled Kubota engines are made in Japan and are about as reliable and good of engine as has ever been made. Check the oil on it. See if it starts and runs fine. If it smokes any skip it but I bet its just dandy little engine.

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #9  
When folks say the Kubota's are just Kholers they are talking about the AIR COOLED "kubota" engines made by Kohler.

I don't know who makes the smaller gas engines, but I've run the small 3500-4000w contractors type Kubota generators for 20+ years or so (before Honda made their name) and they have the "Honda" reputation before Honda!

/ Kubota Gas vs Diesel Engines #10  
Kubota web page claims the gas engines are made on the same block as their diesels but I find lots of online posts that say kubota gas is just a kohler.

This is true but only in their smaller home-owner type lawn cutters. The commercial equipment uses a Kubota made liquid cooled gas engine.