Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24

/ Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24 #1  

Bucky4

Silver Member
Tractor
'03 L3130, '06 BX24, '11 RTV1100
My rear pto stub shaft was damaged by a pto driveshaft that split apart due to being improperly sized when it was cut down. It appears from the parts diagram, it should come out easily by removing the housing cover. Is it that easy to replace? Nothing is ever that simple for me, so I'm thinking there is more to the repair. Any thoughts? Thanks.

/ Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24 #2  
Have you considered getting the Workshop Manual? They are less than $100 at your dealer's. This is probably not a repair many or very few of u, has had to do including me. That is the first place I go to determine if I can even try to attempt it.

Ron

/ Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24
I have the complete WSM. There are no instructions, just parts diagrams. The diagrams make it look like a simple fix, but I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not lucky enough to have that happen; there has to be more to it.

/ Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24 #4  
The parts diagram looks like the stub shaft with gear should slip out when the fluid is drained and the cover is off. If the BX is like the Kub machines I've had apart, you'll find that everything is nicely built to snug slip-fit tolerances, easy and satisfying to work on. Getting the factory sealant off the cover & gasket surface may be the hardest part of the job. Go for it and have a celebration beer after its back together!

/ Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24 #5  
Looking at my BX25 WSM which I am sure is the same as the 24 it looks pretty straight forward. There are no snap rings, thrust devices, and no adjustments. I would do it in a heart beat. The biggest problem looming may be ancillary damage caused by the failure which will not be apparent till you disassemble.

Ron

/ Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24 #6  
Pictures when you do it! :)

Finally got around to replacing the stub shaft. When I pulled the cover, the stub shaft came free of its bearing housing extremely easy, but the lower shaft (the gear on this shaft rotates the stub shaft) pulled out a bit since its bearing housing on the stub shaft cover was a bit tight.

Now, I can't get the lower shaft to push back in to its normal position to re-install the cover. The PTO selection lever has something to do with this, as it will move between the Rear PTO Only and Mid & Rear PTO lever positions, but will not move into the Mid PTO Only position.

No matter what I try I can't get it to push in far enough to re-install the cover.

Need some help on this one please. Any thoughts?

BTW, I have the shop manual and although there is a diagram of the internal workings, it's really of no help to explain anything. Any thoughts on getting the other shaft back into place???? Appreciate any help on this one.

PTO Stub Shaft 2.jpgPTO Stub Shaft 3.jpgPTO Stub Shaft 4.jpgPTO Stub Shaft 1.jpg

Here are some pictures with the cover removed. First one shows the two shafts. 2nd & 4th show only lower shaft & bearing. 3rd one shows how much further the lower shaft must go in. looks to be about 5/8" to 3/4".

/ Replacing Rear PTO Shaft - BX24 #10  
Can you rotate the mid pto shaft by hand then try pushing the rear engagement shaft into position? Reason I suggest this is that when I've had issues getting the pto selector to move where I want it from where it is, I engage the pto for a short sec or two to realign things. Usually will slip to the other slot after a few tries. Of course I do this with the engine running , but that would be a no-go for you at this point.