Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time.

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
I just finished changing the hydraulic oil in the Kubota B7510. It's quite a job. I'm told HST machines live or die on the condition of their oil, so it needs doing every 300 hours. The previous owner told me he had done it just before I bought the tractor at 210 hours, but he apparently went by the manual and only changed the filter mentioned there. That filter handles the lifting hydraulics. The other one the manual seems to have forgotten handles the HST drive -- the one which gets all of the use on my machine -- and it still had a factory black filter at 370 hours.

To judge from a lack of particulates in the oil and no evidence of metal filings anywhere, everything turned out to be in top condition, but to determine that I had to drain 11 litres of oil from the transmission case (from 6 different orfices: 6 potential leaks) and then pour new oil back in until it was full. The parts guy said its capacity is 13.4 litres, so he sold me 15. The manual said 13.4 litres for a B7510DT, but this one needs 15.3. It took 11.

The tough part was the strainer everyone warned me about. 26 mm nut, factory-tightened very tight. I almost rounded the nut with a 27 mm socket when I removed it. Out the 4" screen filter came, attached to the nut. I washed it, but it wasn't dirty. I couldn't find any metal fragments in the strainer, but the learning curve was a bit steep when I set out to replace the strainer. Eventually it went in easily if I lay directly beneath the assembly on the bottom of the transmission. This was not a bolt I could put in by feel alone.

I plan to check this strainer regularly from now on -- about every 1000 hours <grin>.

The new, higher-quality oil from the Kubota dealer seemed to make the tractor quieter, and likely smoother. I'll know better after a few hours of mowing.

In retrospect, changing the HST oil was a messy job made tedious by the risk of a leak, but things went together quite well once I'd figured out how to do it.

Next up is the front axle lube change.

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #2  
Glad things went well with the work you did as I will be facing that on 2650 pretty soon . I didn't know that the strainer was that hard to get out .

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #3  
I just did the transmission on my M7040. 15 gallons. Two drain bolts and two filters. Oh and one bolt was 22mm and the other just a foot away was 26mm. I could see no reason whatsoever to have two sizes of bolts other that just to throw a curve ball at the homeowner changing his own oil. I got it done but IS a job. Going out and bushhog down some ten foot trees with it in about half a hour. hehehehe

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #4  
I am facing the same thing with my 7610. I changed the engine oil about 3 weeks ago, but need to change the hydraulic fluid and filters. Not looking forward to it.

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #5  
Wishing someone would identify the drain plugs down under the HST itself. Supposedly there are 4 plugs. 2, one on each axle, one by the mid PTO, and the other??????................Get ready to catch LOTS of fluid or something to clean up the floor.............

Later, when checking the fluid level, HST, the dipstick there by the seat, if I pull it out cold, it barely shows fluid, right on the tip......But then if I put the stick in and then bring it out, the stick shows totally overfull............THOUGHTS please...........

I changed out the front end fluid to a good quality 90 weight instead of the SuperUDT2..........Before I had a bit of seepage/weepage around each wheel hub...........NOW........NONE......the book says to use either.......

The SuperUDT2 is for me, worth the money........I use it in my RTV and the B7610.......The FEL has more grunt when lifting and digging, and the RTV runs cooler and the trans has more power on hills and slow work.............God bless.......Dennis

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time.
Paragraph 1: The other plug would be the strainer, with its 26 mm size. In retrospect it would have been a lot easier to remove and replace if I had done it before I put the new filter on.

Paragraph 3: I have some seepage around the right wheel hub. Feared it was a seal or something. It makes more sense to replace the front end fluid with 90 weight, as you say. Thanks for the tip. The dealer did mention something like that when selling me the UDT2.

Paragraph 2: Can't help you with that dip stick. I'm reduced to sliding a tissue along it from the top down until the paper gets wet.

Thanks for the feedback,

Rod

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #7  
Paragraph 1: The other plug would be the strainer, with its 26 mm size. In retrospect it would have been a lot easier to remove and replace if I had done it before I put the new filter on.

Rod

No Rod, not counting the one on the strainer..........SOMEPLACE down under the HST is another drain bolt.........Wishing someone would take a pic to identify them.......OH well........lol.........I guess if I get 4/5 of the fluid and change the filters I can pat myself on the back.......Just not a WELL DONE pat on the back

For the fluid check, I look for a bit of different shine on the dip stick.......Hard with these old eyes but it's there..........God bless.......Dennis

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #8  
Just did this today... Despite running out to get a 26mm socket went real smooth....

Also replaced hydraulic lines on the FEL lift cylinders that the couplings were seriously deteriorating...

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #9  
Bumping this thread because I was reading to determine approximate real world fluid needs and saw this common problem.

How to tell where the fluid is on the dipstick:
<snip>

For the fluid check, I look for a bit of different shine on the dip stick.......Hard with these old eyes but it's there..........God bless.......Dennis
I just pull the dipstick and gently lay it on a piece of cloth (my pants) or leather (my glove) or paper towel.

/ Just changed the hydraulic oil in my B7510 HST for the first time. #10  
Good show!

I busted my fingernail really bad getting the strainer to budge - and I had it out before :mur: