Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube?

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube? #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I am getting close to the 50 hour mark on my BX and the manual says that you can replace the Super UDT with 90W gear lube if you wish..... What is the thinking here on the site about continued use of Super UDT since it gets very cold during the winter in New England. Also, comments on synthetic gear lube vs. dino based..... Weight options???? etc.... If you switch to gear lube, can you switch back to Super UDT in the future??? thanks ..

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube? #2  
I tell people to stay with super udt in the north. The gear lube I go to if the seals start leaking so to slow it down or it actually does normally stop the seaping when it starts.

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube? #3  
I have switched to Amsoil synthetic in the engine for my bx2200. When I change the HST in a hundred or so hours I will go to the Amsoil fluid as well.
According to my dealer, you can switch back and forth without any issues although I don't know why you would want to. I think I'll probably stay with Amsoil. All warranties are maintained.
I would,however, use a cold weather fluid either super udt or amsoil equivalent because of the weather in the great Northeast.

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube?
sandyc...... I am referring to the front axle, not the hydrostatic drive assembly. Has your dealer made any comments about what to use in the front axle at the 50 hour change??????

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube? #5  
Paul,
I thought the maintenance schedule called for 300 hours on the front axle change. At least that is what my manual for a BX2200 reads.

Manual........ what is that???? I never read those things unless I absolutely have to... after checking, you are correct. Based on the 300 hour requirement, I don't think that I have to be concerned any longer. The fact is that some other people have discussed the fluid change in larger tractors, and I assumed that it was part of the 50 hour service on the BX also.

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube? #7  
Like My wife tells me: When all else has failed read the manual !
Which is usually the last thing I do /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well mine was changed at 125 hours <font color="red"> Just Because I like to take Care of it </font> and the fact that I had it at The Dealers getting the Front Blade installed , I had to furnish the Super UDT because they don't handle it . So they changed it at no charge.

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube? #8  
Junkman- I used Amsoil Series 2000 75-90 in the front axle. I felt that it supplied better protection then the Super UDT and cost less.

I would not use a 75-140 in there.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would not use a 75-140 in there. )</font>

why ?????? I would think that since the viscosity is less than a 90w gear lube that the 140 would give a better protection... Your thoughts??????

/ Front axle on the BX tractor...Oil or Gear Lube? #10  
Your best bet in performing preventative maintainance is to follow the manufacture's recommendations reference the type of fluids, etc. and maintainance INTERVALS instead of trying to second guess, wheather on your car OR tractor. The same analogy would be to take double your medication because it will " work twice as fast".