Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #1  

woodskiff

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 BX25DLB-1
Went to start the lil guy up yesterday, and nope just a click. Had noticed 2 days ago that when I turned the BX over it didn't snap
to life like normal. After charging the battery didn't work, I went to the dealer, load tested it, failed, and they replaced it through my warranty.

Question....I had been keeping it on a battery maintainer during the week ....do you think I killed it?

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #2  
Went to start the lil guy up yesterday, and nope just a click. Had noticed 2 days ago that when I turned the BX over it didn't snap
to life like normal. After charging the battery didn't work, I went to the dealer, load tested it, failed, and they replaced it through my warranty.

Question....I had been keeping it on a battery maintainer during the week ....do you think I killed it?

Maybe. Keep charging a battery and it will kill it. I recently went searching for a battery charger for a electric trolling motor while on vacation, my good charger was at home. Big deal and price difference in chargers that shut off automatically. A properly functioning (that's right, one that isn't defective) battery maintainer shouldn't hurt a battery because it is supposed to stop charging when the battery reaches full charge. A battery can be defective and a battery charger can be defective. Good way to find out is put your new replacement battery on that maintainer and see if it goes bad and if so then maybe your maintainer is bad.:) Have never "maintained" any of my tractor batteries on my newer tractors and never had any battery issues.
I did have a electric 48 volt golf cart and my charger went bad and I didn't want to pay $95 to repair it. I bought a big charger that would charge at different volts and used it. Forgot to turn it off one day and when I returned my 8 six volt batteries were bigger or at least 2 or 3 of them were bigger and sort of rounded on the sides. My big new variable volt charger did NOT have the auto cut off feature. I then did pay the $95 to repair my other charger, to late, but I did.
Course you could have just gotten a bad battery which also happens.:thumbsup:

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #3  
If your battery maintainer is a float type then no, it didn't hurt the battery. It was just a defective battery, it happens.

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #4  
I just checked, all 4 of my battery maintainers aren't float type, they sink right to the bottom of the cement pond.....

:laughing:

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #5  
first off, why are you using a battery maintainer on the BX esp when you just got it? I never put my bx battery on any sort of maintainer or charger at all since I got the thing new and its still going strong past 5 years. There were periods of a month or so of non use when the yard was too soft to drive on in the spring and fall and it still started for me last winter in subzero temps in unheated garage with no engine block heater. all I use is the extra cycle glowing of plugs before starting in sub zero and still use 5-15 secs to start in summer. IF I was leaving my BX for over a 6 months or more to sit, I would be putting battery on maintainer- but it hasnt happened yet.;) I love driving the thing and it really does my chores so it gets used. I probably jinxed myself about life of the battery, but I know its getting there in age so knocking on wood for now.

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #6  
A battery maintainer that kills the battery should be called something else.
If you had the polarity right, then I think Monster is on the money - it was just a bad battery.

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #7  
If your battery maintainer is a float type then no, it didn't hurt the battery. It was just a defective battery, it happens.

A battery maintainer that kills the battery should be called something else.
If you had the polarity right, then I think Monster is on the money - it was just a bad battery.

I stick to my earlier proposal. Get your new battery and then hook up your maintainer and see if you end up with another bad battery. :D As I said before, no, the properly functioning maintainer should not damage the battery but if the battery can possibly be bad.......how come the maintainer can not possibly be bad, float type or not?
Two items.....battery.....charger.....one can be defective and the other one can not.:confused2:

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #8  
Is it possible that there is some other issue causing a parasitic loss on the battery I think id put a load meter on the new battery. It should be discharging near zero a few milliamps. Id talk to the dealer about the battery. I bought my wife a new CRF 230 last year it came with a bad battery. What was the manufacturing date on the battery

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #9  
I have had my BX for 4 years and never touched the battery, my Motorcycles go on a trickle charger in the winter. my boat and PWC's in the winter yes, my ATV occasionally, yes, my Bx never.

/ Battery Failed......1 month & 35hrs with my new BX25DLB #10  
First off, why are you using a battery maintainer during the summer months. I only put maintainers on my mowers for winter storage and even then, I have found that they don't need to be on all the time. Put on for only one day per month and that tops them back up without possibility of boiling the water out. I have never put on a maintainer on my tractors and never had a problem starting any of them even after 6 months of storage. Unless you have a shorted wiring harness, there is nothing on a diesel tractor to cause battery drain. Batteries will set for months and months without discharging. When I worked out of the country, my trucks and cars would set for up to 8 months and the security systems would eventually drain the battery, so I started putting them on a maintainer when I left but there really isn't a need for one on the tractors.