BX cooling fan in long grass?

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #1  

bilrus61

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 4200
I'm considering a BX2370 as a garden tractor/tiller only. Wasn't going to use it for nothing but tilling and riding around the farm on. I'm disabled and thought it would make a nice outfit to slowly ride along my trails. I was planning on using the cruise control on it. Starting to think about riding around on the farm and realized that several places have weeds up to yea high. I know that sticks and stones break the fan but do weeds get wraped around it? Would a screen prevent that? Does the current BX2370 come with the protective screens?

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #2  
Hello Billrus61, I just purchased and installed the BXpanded underarmor to my 25D. I like the everything about this item for protection. However, I do not use or intend to own a mid mount mower. Simple, quick install but, I think it would need removal prior to installing the mower deck. Again, easy,but more effort.

/ BX cooling fan in long grass?
I was planning to never put a mid-mount mower on mine either. Got other mowers. Just wanting a DEEEEEElux tiller. On my farm there are many smaller areas that are VERY rough from moles and tresspassers 4 wheeling around in the winter leaving ruts. Some of these ruts are like 8 to 10 inches deep. The idea was just to till up the ground along the rut route and hopfully that would smooth things over. I have a much larger tiler but it seems overkill to use it to till a rut that is just ten inches wide. Wanted a narrow outfit also for the garden. The larger tiller is great to break it up and till in humus but not very good to cultivate around plants,corn rows and melons. This is still very much in the planning stage here. Being disabeld I love the easy access of the BX fuel tank. One of the main reasons I'm looking at it over the B2320 is that I can fuel it up easy all by myself. Maybe later down the road I might get a belly mower but I doubt it.

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #4  
Howdy,

I'm here to tell you that tall grass can be deadly - just as you suspect. I was using a bush hog on my BX24 when tall grass wrapped around the drive shaft.

It tore the boot, but that wasn't the worst of it. It somehow grabbed the wiring harness and ripped it off the tractor and snagged the radiator fan and broke that too.

Got that fixed and when I went back to finish the job grass wrapped the front drive shaft and wiped out the seal. Not a good week.

I'm using the Bro-tek belly plates - all 3 of them - and made a protector for the front u joint and seal. The BXpanded plate looks good too.

Good luck,
Z.

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #5  
There is a protective plate on the newer BXs. There is still a possibility that something can get to the fan, wires or fuel line. If you want to play it safe a skid plate would be the way to go.

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #6  
Ok so the bxpanded plate you have to uninstall to put the belly mower on and is not recommended with it on. The brotek rear plate you can leave on with the belly mower?

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #7  
Just get a armor plate for it and you will be fine with fan for the most part. You didn't say how you are disabled, but I can tell you the 5 gallon container is heavy do I am able to pour it with out testing on the tank with the seat up. If you have an attachment o on then it will new harder since it best to stand in the back of tractor to fuel it

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #8  
We have a BX2200 and BX2660, both have added Bro-Tek plates that work really well and the 2200 has tie rod protectors as well.

I'm disabled also and can sure identify with the heavy fuel cans. We have put in a 300 gallon gravity feed fuel tank as we have several tractors, but if we didn't, I would rig up something else rather than lug those things even on a BX.

/ BX cooling fan in long grass? #9  
I am not disabled but looked for an easier way to fuel my BX. This is what I came up with.
I use a Rule pump I purchased at Hamilton Marine. You can see it here - Amazon.com : Rule iL280PK Marine 280 GPH Inline Submersible Pump (12-Volt Kit) : Boat Plumbing Items : Sports & Outdoors I replaced the alligator clips with a cig. lighter plug and used clear vinyl tubing for the hose. I drop it into the diesel can, plug it into my BX's aux. power outlet, and turn the key on to fill the tank which takes about a minute. To keep it clean, I store it in a plastic pail with a lid between uses. It has worked great so far; this is the fourth year with it. No lifting fuel cans! It does require a fuel can with an opening of at least 1.5". I use the Scepter MFC which has about a 2" opening.

/ BX cooling fan in long grass?
I've got brittle bone disease. Born with it. Can't walk a lick but can stand up. I'm about four and a half feet tall. Joints are fused. I'm 53 and just spent 5 hours bushhogging on my M7040 with a Landpride 3690 8 foot cutter. The crows came around to get stuff the cutter had exposed. Smart devils. This was HARD bushhogging on fields that hadn't been mown in 3 years. I mow low and had to go in 1st or 2nd gear. The stuff was head high with me sitting in the seat! Found two sinkholes. Georgous day. Wonderful. I forget I'm disabled on a tractor. At all times its there but after a few minutes on a tractor......its gone. I'm no longer disabled or in pain, I'm strong and powerful. Only on a tractor do I do that. Dug up two peach trees with the loader. Huge half dead peaches. Got bad bleeding scratch on my arm. Life is so sweet on a day like today. Thank you Lord for giving me this day.