new kubota 5100

/ new kubota 5100 #1  

PHILLIP G

My friend just bought a new 5100 hydrostatic and says that when using it in mid range pulling his boxblade that instead of spinning tires over it will stall completely out.....don't sound right to me. Wondering if anyone is familiar with this or if its normal. Tractor is 51 hp , should at least spin tires. Also after running for a while and idles down hears clicking sound in dash which resembles arcing. Had rear remotes installed, could it be they are plumbed wrong? Would appreciate any info.

/ new kubota 5100 #2  
I pull a 7' blade commonly and never had any problems stalling. Normally if I am doing heavy dirt work I run it in Low and have never stalled the machine. Is he running the RPMs ups? You do need some RPM's to get the turbo spinning and the HP up.
A lot depends on the type of dirt, the depth he is dropping it, rippers, type of tires, hills, etc?

/ new kubota 5100
He's running r4 tires and a smaller boxblade. He does light construction but with a smaller blade it should pull it fine. If he runs in low it won't stall but its too slow.

/ new kubota 5100 #4  
Define stalls out. Are you saying it pulls the engine down until it kills the motor?

If the HST is going into relief he needs to let off the pedel. Less is more with hst. He should spin those R4s in mid range no problem. Make sure rpm is up. Or take back to dealer to check out.

/ new kubota 5100
He says it stalls engine out, I suspect pressure/relief problem. Dealer says fuel filter, only has 16 hrs. 2 hr drive to take to dealer they don't have field service. Dealer installed 2 hyd remotes, don't know but could be installed incorrect. Going to go run it myself this week to try and help him determine where problem is. Based on your info there is definitely a problem, I told him to take back to dealer but he is stubborn! I have a mx5000 with standard transmission and it will spin tires in high range with no problem. Bought in 2006 new and has been trouble free. Thanks for replying and if you think of anything please let me know.

/ new kubota 5100 #6  
You can get a hydro on an mx5100?? Wow didn't know that. That's an awfully big tractor for a hydro I'd think. I'd want a gear tractor like yours with that size of machine.

/ new kubota 5100 #7  
I installed 3 factory remotes on mine. Pretty hard to mess it up.

Could be the fuel filter given it's new might have had junk in the tank. Or it could be a number of things.

/ new kubota 5100 #8  
I have a mx5000 with standard transmission and it will spin tires in high range with no problem.

That doesn't really translate to HST; it would just whine and bog down under the same conditions.

Without knowing what he's doing with the box blade (soil, rippers, depth, etc) it's hard to say, but a deep-digging box blade can surely halt a tractor. A light tractor will spin the tires. A heavy one will bog the engine. If it works fine in low range, that suggests to me that he's simply doing something that medium isn't right for. I do most box blading in medium, but in some cases low is absolutely required.

/ new kubota 5100 #9  
Sounds like he's using the go pedal as a gas pedal. Some new owners of HST tractors want to mash the pedal to the floor thinking they will get more power....they're just trading torque for speed..It took me a while when I got my 1st HST..

/ new kubota 5100 #10  
You can get a hydro on an mx5100?? Wow didn't know that. That's an awfully big tractor for a hydro I'd think. I'd want a gear tractor like yours with that size of machine.

Yep - normally works great. No issues with plowing or doing any ground work. Seems the key is being in the lower range. High is pretty much a road gear (without a lot of real hills), Med is good for loader work, brush hogging, etc. Low for heavy work and detail work. The hydro on this size is really handy especially for someone like me that does a ton of loader work and brush hogging.
I would throw a new fuel filter on (cheap and easy) and see if it helps. Otherwise I would bite the bullet and take it into the dealer for a full system check. As the others have said the Hydro does work different than a gear drive and "punching it" does not add power.
Good luck