More on BX 3 pt mod ?

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ? #1  

SamR

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
I had posted the message below yesterday- 2/13/01 in response to the thread TresCrows started. Seems it may be getting overlooked and thought others may benefit from a discussion about the upgrade. To me, knowing what the actual lengths of the new components are for the 3 Pt upgrade vs. the original hitch parts is necessary since (as it says below) two of the 3 "new" parts the dealer came with are the same as I already had...

Hi Guys
The dealer has a service tech here right now fixing my fuel gauge on my BX that always reads 3/4 full (even when it's empty) and was also to bring the recall parts to fix my 3 pt hitch. I had downloaded the images from a prev. poster of this forum and faxed them into the dealer. Strange thing is that if you read the details of the bulletin, the top link was to be shortened by 36mm and the LH lift link was lengthened, as was the RH turnbuckle- the parts he brought to upgrade mine are all the same as I already have with the exception that the turnbuckle is about 1.5" longer. Did they bring the wrong parts or did my BX already come with upgraded parts? Who would know? Seems like we get together on this forum and then go out to educate the dealers in some cases. Any thoughts? The bulletin states that machines that are out of warranty DO NOT QUALIFY so if anybody is concerned about getting the upgrade done before they have to pay for it, time is of the essence.
Cheers
SamR

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ? #2  
SamR

Any chances of posting a few pictures?

Then we might be able to do a stare and compare.

18-29411-dave.jpg

We're all in this together!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by DaveNH on 02/14/01 06:21 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ?
PICTURES AS REQUESTED #1

Hi DaveNH
Here are pix with some measurements in mm- hope this helps.
SamR

hitch_m.JPG

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ?
PICTURES AS REQUESTED #2

Hi DaveNH
Here are pix with some measurements in mm- hope this helps.
SamR

toplink_m.JPG

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ? #5  
Re: PICTURES AS REQUESTED #1

Could you tell me please if the measurements provided are of the "new" parts or of the old or you do not know? Also, I noticed my dealer buthchered the area in the gusset shown on that service bulletin SB00-35, it seems they cut into it with a blow torch. I think Kubota is going to owe me a set of three point arms, I am exceedinly angry about this butchery of a new tractor. What do you guys think?

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ? #6  
I made some of my own measurements this morning.

Top Link: First, I just happen to have both the old and new top links in my possession (Please don't tell the Kubota Kops that I still have an old one in my possession). Forget the 283 mm measurement, it is identical to both. BUT… the new top link will compress the full length of the threaded shaft. That is, when set at minimum length, no threading is showing on the end with the nut. (Lower link portion in SamR's pictures…. BTW Sam, thanks for taking the time to do the measurement and taking the fantastic quality pictures). The older ones do not allow either end to be fully compressed.

For the one bottom link, my new ones agree with the 152 mm measurement, but…

I measure 273 mm where Sam measured 240 mm. Ok… now I am confused. Was the SB work partially performed on mine? (Unfortunately, unlike the top link, I do not have the 'old' ones on hand).

TresCrows… See my response in "Kubota butchered my BX".

What do other people measure who had the work performed?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by roy on 02/15/01 07:08 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ?
Re: PICTURES AS REQUESTED #1

Hi TresCrows
This'll kinda all run together so it'd be best to start from top down, but maybe I should've reiterated what started me on this whole "quest". Here's a piece snipped from my 2/14/01 9:24AM post called "More on BX 3pt Mod ?" while the repair tech (mechanic?) was here to do the mod on my BX

<SNIP>
...Strange thing is that if you read the details of the bulletin, the top link was to be shortened by 36mm and the LH lift link was lengthened, as was the RH turnbuckle- the parts he brought to upgrade mine are all the same as I already have (to compare physical length) with the exception that the turnbuckle is about 1.5" longer

Roy added the following info concerning why I was led to believe that the new top link was the same

<Snip>
Forget the 283 mm measurement, it is identical to both. BUT… the new top link will compress the full length of the threaded shaft. That is, when set at minimum length, no threading is showing on the end with the nut.

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ? #8  
I have a new BX that, according to my dealer at least, is from the factory with the new specs. If you all like i could do the same as Sam with Specs if you all would like...

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ? #9  
Yes, please.

/ More on BX 3 pt mod ? #10  
SamR; I still have a point of confusion on the lengthened LH lift link. If it was to be lengthened, then my 273 mm would seem to be the new one, as opposed a 240 mm length. (Possibly I am using the wrong reference points for taking the measurements. Then again, it could simply be that I was outside at 5AM, using a flashlight, half awake - user error. I will recheck when I get home from the office, in the daylight.)

Charliebrn; Yes, I am interested in your measurements for the LH lift link, from the points shown on the picture.