L-35 loader problem....

/ L-35 loader problem.... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I was using a friends L-35 loader today and when I went to raise the loader bucket, it would start to drop like a stone. It didn't do it every time, but just enough to make one not want to do any work with it until the problem was rectified. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? The machine has low hours, but is out of warranty by age.

/ L-35 loader problem.... #2  
Almost sounds like the four-way (or whatever)valve is bad because it acts like it is switching to the float position which will give you the immediate drop.

/ L-35 loader problem.... #3  
It would be interesting to know how much it dropped or would drop. It could be the valve as Sandy suggested as that sounds logical.

/ L-35 loader problem.... #4  
When you say that it starts to drop.. do you mean it drops a foot or so and then stops?

Could be air in the hydraulic lines.. although I wouldn't think the drop would be substantial unless you have a problem with your hydraulic pump.

You might want to check the Hydro levels.

/ L-35 loader problem....
the fluids have been checked and I doubt that there is air in the system since it hadn't been apart or oil changed in a while. It will drop a foot or more when this happens, but it doesn't happen every time. Just enough to make it a problem if you are trying to lift something from a truck bed as an example. It will drop and dent the side of the bed if you are lifting from the side....

/ L-35 loader problem.... #6  
I would check the lift cylinders for by-pass through the seals. If you extend the cylinders all the way out remove the hoses on the rod end and cap the hoses hit extend very little oil should come out the port on the cylinders. You may need to remove the cylinders to test them. Think about it carefully before you try this be safe. This is a common cause of weak hydraulic cylinders.

/ L-35 loader problem.... #7  
It would be interesting to play with the valve to get a handle on it as to exactly when it does it. You might want to try moving the lever differently and see if there are any other performance issues here.