bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45 #1  

smitesmash

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 650 (sold) Kubota L45
Does anyone know what the recommend procedure is to bypass the seat safety switch when using the PTO?

I'm doing this for running the chipper, where it is NOT meant to be run from the operators seat. The dealer said that the method was to turn on the PTO, and then raise the seat. that was not working, nor did I find any seat raised switch.

I could unplug the switch, but that just caused the tractor to stop as soon as the PTO switch was engaged.

I could theoretically just jam a paper clip in there when needed, but that seems, well stupid

what I was doing this past weekend was to just place my chainsaw, handle side just on top of the switch, on the seat, and engage the PTO that way. it'll work I suppose, but I feel kludgy doing it that way.

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45
I just found, in a related JD post, that if the tractor is in neutral, and the operator is NOT on the seat when the PTO is engaged, then the PTO interlock safety won't engage. I don't specifically recall putting the tractor in neutral before trying anything. I'll give that a shot next weekend.

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45 #3  
On he newer Kubota tractors they are usually set up where if the seat is raised up all the way forward the rear only PTO will operate.

Otherwise I just got a small piece of hookup wire and stripped it long enough to go into the connectors and plugged back into the seat switch.

David Kb7uns

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45 #4  
I had the same problem and used a zip tie to keep the switch engaged all the time. This helps me when oiling the chain for the snow blower and also means I can stand while using the fel or blade without the tractor shutting down. Been that way for over two years with no problems. If I ever sell it I can cut the tie and it will be back to factory specs.

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45 #5  
On my L 45, I just swivel the seat to the side and that allows the PTO to run when I am out of the seat. It has never been modified.

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45 #6  
l45 manual says
-main gear shift is in neutral
-set engine speed
-turn seat to bh position
-dismount and get to work

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45
I will try that again. maybe when I first tried it, it was not fully in neutral. '

However, I am getting pretty proficient at getting the chain saw to be "just right" before turning on the PTO.

/ bypass the PTO/Seat safety swich on a L-45 #8  
i noticed another switch tonight that must tell the the ecm the seat is is in bh position it is on the front side of the seat.
i used a jumper wire on a past bota cause the seat switch was intermitantly losing contact. i tried contact cleaner and several other tricks to get it to work. finally i just put metal spades on each end if a 10 gage wire and put them in the termnals. ........ disclaimer blah blah blah.........