Mowing BX25 overheating while bush hogging

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging #1  

Jack32878

Tractor
Kubota BX25
Hello, newb here with a question. Please forgive me if this has already been asked as I couldn't find anything to answer my question when I searched.

I have a BX25 and a County Line (TSC brand) 4' bush hog. I am cutting my field, about 6 acres, but my tractor keeps over heating. I have cut this field previously with this same tractor and cutter. I checked the tractor coolant, oil, hydro fluid, and gear oil in the cutter. All fluids are fine. The cutter blades look ok but could be a little dull. When I am cutting the field, grass is about 1 to 3 feet throuhout the field, the temp guage slowly creeps up. When it hits the temp threshold I just stop, stop the PTO and reduce the RPM down to about 2200. When I do this the engine seems to run fine and the collant flow will cool the engine down below the red area on the temp guage. Once it drops after 3-4 minutes I raise the RPM to about 2500-2600, start the PTO and take off. I might get 5-10 minutes before I start the process over. This time the grass is a little taller/thicker than last time so it may be an issue.

Any other ideas???

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging #2  
Are you mowing in "rabbit" or "turtle?"

Radiator unblocked?

Bruce

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging
Running in high gear, "rabbit." I make sure to keep the radiator free from debris. I did raise the cutter a bit and that increased the time it take to over heat.

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging #4  
Is your radiator screen clean, it just pulls out

Yes, I reach down and wipe the screen below the steering wheel every time I do a cool down stop. One time I pulled the screen off to make there wasnt a filter behind the screen.

Im beginning to wonder if it is simply the grass is just too thick. When I give it "full throttle" while cutting its a little sluggish a d I can hear the engine bog down a bit in thicker grass. Otherwise it runs great. I cleared some brush and briars today without even a hint of pver heating or engine bogging. Then went back to the grass and the same issues persisted.

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging #6  
What rpm are you running the engine? I would run it at the rated pto rpm of 3200. If you are only running at 2600 it could be bogging down the motor too much.

I will go back and read the manual but I thought 2600 rpm was where the pto was rated. I did notice that when I tried to bump the rpm from 2500 to 2600-2700 it over heated faster. I didnt try to get 2700 but can try it out the next day or two when I get back out there.

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging #8  
3200rpm in "rabbit" is probably about 8-9mph. Seems too fast.

Working in tall grass, check your fan under the tractor, too.

Bruce

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging #9  
There's a pull-out screen just behind the radiator on my '24. I'd hope there's one on the '25. Are you cleaning that one too?

"Rabbit" seems too fast/high a gear for hogging. I run my '24 in "turtle" when hogging 4 acres, and it still gets pretty close to the red on a warm day.

Z.

/ BX25 overheating while bush hogging #10  
My little BX has had the removable screen clog up on occasion running the MMM. When it's happened temp runs hot. I try to clean it regularly and no problems running hot.