Popping noise when in 4wd

/ Popping noise when in 4wd #1  

BarrieD

Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Hi folks. This is my first post so I hope it's in the right place. I have a Kubota BX2360. It has 550 hrs on it. I started noticing a popping noise that isn't continuous but does happen often every time I use the tractor. Usually when I'm climbing hills. It sounds like it's coming from just below the deck where my feet rest. It felt to me like a u-joint going bad. It doesn't happen when not in 4wd. I changed the u-joint at the rear of the front drive shaft and the bearing right next to it. I haven't changed the u-joint at the front of the front drive shaft because the dealer didn't have it in stock. At first I thought I had fixed the problem. I drove all over my property and up and down my hills with no sound. Slowly over the next few times of use the noise started to occur again. I'll probably order the front u-joint but thought I would see if anyone else has had anything similar. Also, does anyone know where to get a u-joint without the yokes attached and that has a grease fitting? I think $78 is way too much for that rear u-joint. The front one is $47 at the dealer and they have no fitting.

Thanks for any help, Barrie

/ Popping noise when in 4wd #2  
At 550 hrs, if you have to change anything it is the responsibility of Kub. ... Check your front axle oil and make sure your wheel lugs are tight.

/ Popping noise when in 4wd #3  
Hi folks. This is my first post so I hope it's in the right place. I have a Kubota BX2360. It has 550 hrs on it. I started noticing a popping noise that isn't continuous but does happen often every time I use the tractor. Usually when I'm climbing hills. It sounds like it's coming from just below the deck where my feet rest. It felt to me like a u-joint going bad. It doesn't happen when not in 4wd. I changed the u-joint at the rear of the front drive shaft and the bearing right next to it. I haven't changed the u-joint at the front of the front drive shaft because the dealer didn't have it in stock. At first I thought I had fixed the problem. I drove all over my property and up and down my hills with no sound. Slowly over the next few times of use the noise started to occur again. I'll probably order the front u-joint but thought I would see if anyone else has had anything similar. Also, does anyone know where to get a u-joint without the yokes attached and that has a grease fitting? I think $78 is way too much for that rear u-joint. The front one is $47 at the dealer and they have no fitting.

Thanks for any help, Barrie

What year is your BX2360? What type of tires, Ag, Turf etc.?

/ Popping noise when in 4wd #4  
At 550 hrs, if you have to change anything it is the responsibility of Kub. ... Check your front axle oil and make sure your wheel lugs are tight.

I don't know if I would going that far. I know a gentlemen with a 2001 B-7800 with less than 200 hours. I am sure Kubota would tell him problems that occur are now his, it was out of warranty a long time ago.

/ Popping noise when in 4wd #5  
Check the wheel lugs. After that it sounds like it is in the transmission. U joints usually will not pop. They sound more like a crunch.

Last edited:
   / Popping noise when in 4wd
Thanks for your replies everyone. My BX2360 is a 2009 model. It has turf tires, FEL, 60" belly mower. I have 3 acres of mostly hills up to 22 degrees that I mow every week. I go both straight up and down and also across the slope. I will check the lugs and report back. I'm unable to do this until this evening. Thanks again.

/ Popping noise when in 4wd #7  
My BX22 sometimes makes a popping sound from the same area. In my case, it is the plastic guard rubbing against the u-joint. The guard occasionally gets pushed out of position by a stick or whatever. Easy to realign the guard and fix the pop.