3-Point Hitch B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #1  

handymantim

Tractor
Kubota B26
I have several questions please:

1. Has anyone tried moving a 5th-wheel trailer with their 3-point hitch on a B26 (or any tractor for that matter)? I'm looking at buying a 3-point trailer hitch and then modifying it to accept the 5th-wheel pin. I tried using the loader but the loader isn't strong enough to lift the 5th-wheel.
2. What is the definition of "lift point" when determining the lift capacity of a 3-point hitch? Kubota lists the capacity of the B26 3-point hitch as 1676 pounds at 24" behind the "lift point." I assume the lift point is where the 3 arms attach to the accessory and not where the splined shaft comes out of the tractor?
3. Will the 3-point hitch stall if something too heavy is attempted to be lifted or will something in the 3-point system bend/break? I assume it will stall like the loader and backhoe do but I'd like to hear from those of you with experience.

Thank you

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #2  
An Engine will stall when overloaded.... a hydraulic system will go into bypass when overloaded...
If your 3pt can lift it, And you have enough weight on the front of your tractor, you should be able to move it.

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel
OK, my apologies stall vs. bypass. My question still stands....will the 3pt system go into bypass if too heavy of a weight is attempted to be lifted (like the loader and backhoe do)? Thanks.

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #4  
"a hydraulic system will go into bypass when overloaded."
The 3pt IS a hydraulic system...
You can try this by attempting to lift your car or truck at it's receiver hitch... if it weighs too much the hydraulic system will go into bypass, if it can lift it... it will.

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #5  
>The "lift point" is where the lower lift arms balls are located. Where an implement is attached. You have it right.

>If something is too heavy for the 3PH then it simply won't lift it as the pump goes into bypass. No damage.

>Be careful of the tendency for the front end to come off the ground with very heavy loads on the rear. A FEL filled with gravel, dirt, bags of concrete, or whatever, will help keep the ability to steer. Sometimes putting the tractor in 4WD can help.

>Also, be sure to lift only as high as absolutely necessary. If the 3PH is lifted past 45° and the tractor's brakes are used, or the trailer's momentum overtakes the tractor, then the 3PH will suddenly fully lift. There is no downward hydraulic pressure on the 3PH.

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #6  
I have several questions please:

1. Has anyone tried moving a 5th-wheel trailer with their 3-point hitch on a B26 (or any tractor for that matter)? I'm looking at buying a 3-point trailer hitch and then modifying it to accept the 5th-wheel pin. <snip>
59513.jpg

Trailer Mover, 3-Point Hitch Trailer Mover, Trailer Movers | Agri Supply, 59513
Like this? with an adapter like Convert-A-Ball Cushioned 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Adapter w/ Offset - 12" to 16" Tall Convert-A-Ball Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Adapters CAB-C5GX1216

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #7  
I took my rear round bale spear and welded a 2 5/16ths ball on the top. I pull my gooseneck to the field, set it down, load it with rounds (uaually about 21,000 pounds worth), drive around to the fromt and pick it back up and tote it home. Of course it's not a compact tractor, it's an M900 but the principle is the same.

Rhe one in the above picture is specially made but I welded a ball on my rear spear and it works just fine, besides, I'm cheap.

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel
Thanks everyone for the help!!! This is my first tractor, if it isn't obvious, and I appreciate the help from you experienced (and patient) folks. Instead of trying to damage my front end/loader with larger boom cylinders I'm going to attempt the 3-point hitch route thanks to your input and help.

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #9  
I have used the one I pictured above with my regular hitch trailer loaded with about 7,000 lbs, so about 9,000 pounds total and probably about 1,000 lbs of tongue weight.

/ B26 3-point hitch "lift point" definition and moving a 5th-wheel #10  
You'll have trouble getting up to speed on the highway. :)