Mowing Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #1  

peewee56

Tractor
kubota BX2200
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a used (1400 hours) Kubota BX2200 with a belly mower from the local dealer today. They said it was a one owner machine bought from them new and serviced there regularly. The dealer said they went through it and had been using it to mow the property around the dealership location so it was ready to go. So I brought it home on my trailer, fired it right up and went to mowing (had checked the engine oil and hydraulic oil before I purchased). To say the least I was very excited as I have about a 4.5 acre field with some pretty tall grass (haven't mowed it since the beginning of the growing season) and a section of it that has grown up (I bought a new 4ft king kutter rotary cutter, bush hog, to go with it). This tractor was ripping through the tall grass without even noticing it :thumbsup: . After a couple of passes in the field I took it over to mow my lawn to see how nice the cut would look. After finishing the majority of it, I shut it off and wen't inside for about a half hour. I then wen't back out to finish mowing and put it to the big challenge; a very steep hill behind my house that hadn't been mowed for about a month. The kubota answered the challenge when I put it in 4wd it ascending the hill cutting the tall grass very well. After a few passes though the engine started stuttering and shaking while loosing power all the way to the point of almost cutting off. It would then idle back up and be OK for a while and then do it again. Shutting of the PTO didn't seem to make any difference nor did anything else I tried. It got worse and worse (more frequent) but I was able to finish mowing the hill. I then shut the PTO off and drove it around for a while and it was still exhibiting the same symptoms. Then I started the PTO again and went to mow a flat section. Finally, during one the loosing power shaking episodes, it cut all the way off and I haven't been able to get it started again since :mad: . It sure does make a man sick to his stomach to have a machine malfunction after he just bought it; especially one this expensive. It will turn over and blow black smoke like it is about to start but it never takes off. I finally had to get my Arctic Cat four wheeler out and tow it over and into the garage.

The gas tank was over half full at the dealer and I stopped at the station on the way home and topped it off (about 1.6 gallons) with diesel. The gage was still showing over a half tank of gas left when it cut off and I can see what looks like plenty when I take the cap off. Anybody have any guesses as to what my be going on? I've been thinking maybe water in the fuel but it seems like the problem would have been evident from the get go if this was the case. The fuel does smell a bit strange, almost like it has gas in it but I can't imagine this could be the case (surely the dealer wouldn't have put gas in it and I'm 100% certain I didn't unless the station had the wrong thing in the tank as I fill up my f250 6.0 diesel here all the time). To say the least this is incredibly disappointing to drop 6k on a machine only to be working on it a few hours after the purchase. I appreciate it if anybody here can give me some quick things to check/troubleshoot based on the symptoms. The dealer wont be open until Monday.

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #2  
First thing I would do is replace fuel filter if it doesn't fix the problem good to replace anyway good luck

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #3  
Welcome to TBN. It could be about anything. Usually when a diesel starts stuttering, shaking, and loses power it is sucking air into the fuel system. You can check your fuel system for leaks. If it's leaking fuel it may be sucking air at the same place. Good luck with your problem.

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #4  
Replace both fuel filters for sure.....Use clamps to shut off the fuel, simple job.

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #5  
Since there is some doubt in your own mind about what is in the tank, drain it, replace with known good diesel from another station, and replace any fuel filters, and try again.

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #6  
How much do you weigh? My friend's wife couldn't run her BX because she didn't weigh enough to squish down the seat switch. I fixed it by removing one of the two spring steel plates the seat lands on. Then it was fine.

If this might be the problem, remove two 12 mm bolts, take off one plate, and re-attach.

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start
How much do you weigh? My friend's wife couldn't run her BX because she didn't weigh enough to squish down the seat switch. I fixed it by removing one of the two spring steel plates the seat lands on. Then it was fine.

If this might be the problem, remove two 12 mm bolts, take off one plate, and re-attach.

I weigh 260 so I think we can eliminate that lol. Plus I'm pretty sure the seat safety switch has been disabled as I can get on and off the tractor at anytime, PTO on or not, without it shutting off or stuttering. I emailed the dealer and he said he will have it picked up Monday, repaired, and returned to my residence free of charge of course. Now that is a quality dealer response to such an issue :thumbsup: . However, I'd like to get it running today if I could. Where could I get a fuel filter quickly for this machine and what is the best way to drain the tank?

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #8  
Today's Sunday. If the dealer is picking it up tomorrow, my advice would be to wait. If I was the dealer, sold a machine, and customer experienced problems the next day, it would make sense to come pick it up and fix it. However, if the guy already had the thing torn apart, and had started replacing things, well that would irk me a little. You know, too many cooks in the kitchen...

I know that draining the fuel and replacing the filter is basic stuff, but if it were me, and just hypothetically that didn't solve the problem and it had to go to the dealer anyway, I'd prefer if my wrenches hadn't touched the thing.

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #9  
Today's Sunday. If the dealer is picking it up tomorrow, my advice would be to wait. If I was the dealer, sold a machine, and customer experienced problems the next day, it would make sense to come pick it up and fix it. However, if the guy already had the thing torn apart, and had started replacing things, well that would irk me a little. You know, too many cooks in the kitchen... I know that draining the fuel and replacing the filter is basic stuff, but if it were me, and just hypothetically that didn't solve the problem and it had to go to the dealer anyway, I'd prefer if my wrenches hadn't touched the thing.

I agree have a beer watch football or whatever.... let them figure it out.

Also the BX 2200 does not have a safety switch on the seat, only on the PTO and speed control levers.

Did you get any manuals for the tractor from the dealer, if not PM me and I will send you what I have. Welcome to the BX 2200 club :)

/ Just Bought BX2200 Won't Start #10  
Agreed, if your dealer is taking care of it Monday.. you would be way ahead to wait and have him do it. I figured you were on your own, but if the dealer is going to make it good... let him.