Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST.

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
Guys on Buying forum are freakin\' me out @ HST.

I'm reading the other forums and all the talk about HSTs overheating and falling apart.

Do I have any concerns over my BX2200 HST, if I hook a four shank digger or such to it and start plowing for hours upon end?

First of all, do they really get hot and fail? Or are they designed to handle that? And how will I know?

My understanding (a bad one maybe???) is that you can put a reasonable load on this unit, watch your temperature gage, and basically run it forever (or at least all you'd want to run it in a day).

Am I missing something important, or are the guys on the other forum just having some good arguments (discussions)?

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, as I don't plan to plow a square mile with mine, or pull a baler, but would like some assurances that I'm not falsely secure.

Thanks!
Ron

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #2  
Re: Guys on Buying forum are freakin\' me out @ HST.

There used to be a TV commercial where they pulled a freight train with a pickup truck to show how tough the truck was. Made a point, but anyone who thought they could tow the train like that from Maine to California would be an idiot.

Likewise, most everyone who has an HST tractor will use it for years and never have a problem. They are, after all, designed for heavy service and the manufacturers don't want hordes of unhappy owners storming the gates because of tranny failures. That said, there is always going to be someone who hooks a 14" 3 bottom plow to his Craftsman HST garden tractor and tries to turn a quarter section with it. Then, when the tranny burns up, he thinks it's a manufacturer's defect.

If you want to do some moderate tillage work in your garden with your BX, you will probably have no problem. But if you are taxing the limits of the tractor (engine pulling hard, fighting for traction, etc.) for many hours on end, it should be a clue that's not what it was designed for.

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #3  

If you feel it is struggling, take shallower or narrower
passes. If you let any unit, gear or otherwise get to the
point that it is struggling it can be a problem. You should
feel the resistance but there's a point (maybe learned)
where you 'll know you need to ease up.

This is why normally the implements are sized to match the
tractor.

You can use a wide blade for light grading but for digging
for instance on a BX it should probably be 4 foot or less.

It would be nice if HST tractors did have a trans temp guage
and I'll probably for fun figure out a spot to put a sender
just to see what activity affects it.

Just as soon as I get the place landscaped, fenced, planted,
etc etc etc /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

del

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #4  

Don't be freaked out--it is mostly BS /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Worry not BX buddy, the BX is one tough little bugger /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. J

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #5  

Ron:
I agree with the other posts, the bx HST is one tough critter. As long as you run within the limits and keep the fluids clean and filtered you should be able to keep going for close to forever. In a cold climate, the use of Super UDT or = as well as letting the fluid warm up before use will help to ensure long life.

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #6  

I wouldn't worry too much about the guys arguing, err I mean chatting the multiple HST points. This is the only way they have to relieve their pent up stress. I say, plow on! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #7  

Boys believe me there are no troubles with the hydro's only some peoples thoughts. They have been around for over thirty years now. If they weren't as solid as they are I wouldn't want to sell them. Our shops do far less work on hydro's then on gear drives. Sorry to be involved in this as it should all be good info. Most transmissions today do to all the hydraulic systems run close to 200 degree's on the big tractor's while working. The new cabs keep the operators away from the heat so they are unaware of that. Sorry to hear you boys getting flustered over the comments made. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #8  

You can usually tell if the juice is getting really hot... there's a hot smell to the tractor when it happens. If you are paying attention, you will notice and back off some.

I learned that one day when doing some heavy loader work in some deep mud. Had been dropping it down into low range before going into the slime but forgot one time. After a few minutes, noticed a hot aroma... confirmed by touching the FEL connectors. Went right away when I got the right range.

A temp gage would be nice. But be careful where you tap into. Lots of pressure in those lines.

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #9  

A temp guage would have to go in the sump I would think. I was
thinking more along the lines of having a baseline temp to
go by for later in it's life to be help diagnose any
internal problems more then using the temp guage as a load
tester.

You're right, I might have a problem with my 9.99 auto parts
store trans temp guage T-ing into a line. Might have an
instant 10psi relief valve!/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Unless you are going to be really stressing these I don't
think there's a problem. Actually I shouldn't say stressing,
more like abusing. When using a rear scraper for instance with
the implement all the way down. Tractor slows down or stops
and you just leave your foot in it hoping it will get going
again. Stalling any hydraulic feature on a tractor is not
good if left in that state very long.

HST is a weird concept, it not being a throttle pedal but a
infinite gear ratio selector. The harder you push the less
effective go-power it has as the gear ratio is higher.

Completely opposite of my L35. Maybe Kubota HST's are as
highly rated as Deere's. In my JD 4210 operators manual it
actually says to not tow a trailer without its own brakes
that weighs over 1.5 times the tractor weight over 20mph.

If towed equipment does have brakes do not travel more than
25mph and do not tow if it weighs more the 4.5 times the
machine weight.

So I guess this 28gross hp tractor that weighs 2700 pounds
is rated to tow a 12,000lb tractor 24 mph./forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This manual has so many goofy things in it I don't believe
anything in it. They must have one paragraph for all their
tractors from 15hp to 100hp and they put it in EVERY manual.

Since the tractor will only do maybe 12mph naked, I guess I
have to find a big hill to see how it handles with 12K behind it at 24mph, the "safe" limit! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

dig on...

del

/ Guys on Buying forum are freakin' me out @ HST. #10  

About a year and a half ago I used my '89 Jd 318 to backfill 20 yards of delivered fill sand on a 99 degree day. I used chains, 100 lbs of wheel weights and 200 lbs of barbell weights on the back with a 54 inch front blade. It took seven hours of full throttle work, I would push the sand as far as I could until the rear wheels started really digging in, then slam into reverse, then gun ahead and move the sand further. It had over 1200 hours at the time and when I quit for the day it was still running strong and the hydro fluid was not even hot. I don't think a properly engineered hydrostatic transmission in any tractor will fail unless it is REALLY abused.
Notice I said properly engineered---I would never have tried that job with a Sears or Yardman, White, etc. garden tractor.

I doubt if you have to worry about the HST on your BX2200.