BX25 for Creating Large Pond

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #1  

savaytse66

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 BX25
After getting my BX25 stuck in our newly discovered natural spring a few weeks ago, I got to thinking that it might be a good idea to use the groundwater for something useful. I am thinking that with some planning and engineering, I could probably re-work the earth to create a natural pond with the spring as it's source.

Does anyone have any experiences to share? Even better would be some how-tos with pictures and video!. And better yet would be experiences specifically with a BX25 or similar sized tractor. After getting stuck by simply brush hogging with Ag tires, I am wondering it the BX is a little too small to tackle something like this. I have the FEL and backhoe, obviously, and I also have a Piranha bar and box blade to assist me.

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #2  
If you have an infinite amount of time & an infinite number of shovels it is possible to dig any size pond or lake by hand...
after all the Grand Canyon was formed with just natural erosion and a few million years...
... I think if I was going to make a "Large"pond, I would consider using much larger equipment... but then I'm old and likely don't have the time left to make it using small tractors... KennyV

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #3  
Ten foot pond or 2 acre pond?

Bruce

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #4  
You might want a big excavator or dozer to do the bulk of the work. You can fine tune with your BX. Before I did any of this however, I would check with the county or local building officials. In my neck of the woods, if you have a wet land, the land becomes so regulated that you have to almost check and see if passing gas is allowed near it.

Attachments

• Fall Shot of Snip EM.JPG
    Fall Shot of Snip EM.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 358
   / BX25 for Creating Large Pond #5  
You are talking about a job for a track hoe with a real operator. You have bought a small tractor use it what it is for... Nothing worse than a small mud hole choked with cattails. You are lucky to have a spring = please do it right.

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #6  
Lets look at some numbers, a hole that is 100 feet square that is 5 feet deep, if my math is correct, is 1850 cubic yards of dirt. The end loader bucket on a BX is maybe 1/5 of a cubic yard. That makes a little over 9000 bucket loads of dirt that you would have to move with your BX. Lets say you only have to move the dirt a short distance and it takes you two minutes to move each bucket full. That comes out to about 18,000 minutes, which is around 300 hours. Assume a 40 hour work week, that's close to 2 months sitting on your BX. My guess is it would take longer and a 100'x100' pond isn't very big.

My math may or may not be 100% correct but you get the idea of why people say its a job for larger equipment.

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #7  
It took multiple days to move this berm...
Tractor pics 049.jpg

I can't get this "flat" to SAVE MY LIFE!:confused2:

Tractor pics 009.jpg

I've got a "pro" with a skid steer scheduled to arrive on Saturday. He'll flatten it out, then it'll get seed/straw.

I'm completely THRILLED with my BX's performance, but "large jobs" can take longer than you expect.

"Yes," it can take down mountains, and dig lakes.... do YOU have "that much time?"

:2cents:Beavz

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #8  
I wouldn't attempt to dig a pond with my B26 and it is much larger than your BX. Even with my LS P7010 it took a couple of days to dig out a 50x50x5 feet sized pond without any water from a spring running it. With a spring close by you need to work pretty fast and continuous to keep ahead of the spring flowing water.
My suggestion is get a large excavator that can stay on the bank and dig around the middle of the pond to remove all the required dirt. A large dozer might work also if the soil is not water saturated quick sand.

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #9  
I would not attempt it with my BX or Kioti 45 with backhoe. Tractors are ok for moving lose dirt but not good digging machines. If you are going to try anyway get a backhoe for BX, dig with it. move dirt with loader. Get ready to get stuck many times.

/ BX25 for Creating Large Pond #10  
I had a small (60 foot diameter) pond put in. The operator used a tracked hoe and knocked it out in a few hours. I spent the next few weeks spreading the dirt into berms with my B7100 since there was no access road to haul the dirt away. I used a box blade, then rented a York rake to smooth it off. Lots of fun.