Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I am looking at a used BX2230 with a 60" MMM. I looked at a video on youtube showing the removal procedure for a BX MMM. It took less than 1 minute. Is the reinstallation as quick and easy? I did see another video comparing the JD system which is quite nice. That video indicated that the reinstallation of the Kubota MMM can be difficult and might require another person to help. Keep in mind that the second video was produced by a JD dealer so there is an obvious bias.

I think removing the BX MMM would be quite easy. I'm just wanting some feedback on the reinstallation.

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #2  
94BULLITT has You Tube video on it, it's easier to get off than on, but if you're in good shape, it's not hard.

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #3  
94BULLITT has You Tube video on it, it's easier to get off than on, but if you're in good shape, it's not hard.

Yes Roger made a excellent video..

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #4  
It's not hard just awkward if that makes any sense. Takes me maybe 15 minutes total.

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX
I saw the 94Bullitt video taking it off. Did he post one putting it back on?

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #6  
I could put the mower on my BX in around 5 minutes. That was on my flat concrete floor. The biggest problem the first 10-12 times was the tight fit of the PTO shaft-you have to do itby feel, and until the spline edges wore some, it was a tough job getting those 21 splines to match up.

Will

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #7  
A couple minutes to get it off and 5-10 minutes to get it back on. I cheat and use the FEL to lift the front tires so I can slide it in/out. No big deal really, its the time span between the too. Take off, 6 months later, how do I get that back on?
My buddy has the JD. Not all thats its cracked up to be. He sometimes has to drive over it several times to get it on. Granted he's sitting down the whole time, but the Kubota isnt that bad.

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #8  
Compared to previous garden tractors, I find the BX a pain in the butt. Maybe it's because I'm not as young and flexible as I used to be. It's a real wriggle job to get the 60" deck off, smaller decks would be easier no doubt. The ONLY way I can successfully get it back on is by removing a rear wheel to hook up the PTO. Maybe it'll get easier as Will_C said, but that many on and offs will take 10-12 years as it only goes on and off ONCE a year. By then, I'll be even older and less flexible...........

My old, belt drive Wheel Horse was just a couple minutes, either way, even with a home built 72" deck. That is comparing garden tractor to SCUT though.......

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #9  
I've been doing it for 9 years now and will be 69 in another month. Obviously practice helps, but removing/reattaching the deck isn't such a hard job that it deserves undue worry... if you're around this kind of equipment on any regular basis, this kind of task should easily be within your skill set, IMHO.

The only thing even remotely difficult is attaching the pto shaft since it's underneath the tractor and you have to either do it by feel or get on the floor so you can see what you're doing. It pays to wear gloves when doing it since it needs to be lubed also. But, a couple of minutes fussing around, maybe a colorful adjective or two and that job's done, too.

/ Removing and reinstalling a MMM on a BX #10  
I think the deck removal and reinstall are very easy. I only do it on concrete & don't have to turn the wheels. I just grab it & drag it out.
The pto shaft has gotten much easier than it used to be. The shaft for the front mount blower is a lot worse than the deck.