Help me understand Third Function Remote please

/ Help me understand Third Function Remote please #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I'm looking into installing a third function remote on my L4060. I have allot of information on this from other post, but need to get a better idea how I would do this and how it would work.

To do this, I would need to tap into my FEL control valve. That is where I get a little lost on which hoses I tap into. I'm guessing I need to tap into the supply that goes to the FEL valve. Once I tap into that, I need another valve to operate the third function. The hoses that I tapped into would go to this new valve. Then I would run a set of hoses from the new valve to the front of the loader area with quick disconnects on them. Is that it? I hear allot about solenoids to do this. Where does this come into play or is this only used if using a diverter valve? I attached 2 pictures of the right side of my FEL. It looks like there are to plates that could take off to run the lines to the Third Function Remote through the FEL arms which would keep them protected.

WP_20141015_007.jpgWP_20141015_008.jpg

/ Help me understand Third Function Remote please #2  
I would first check whether your tractor has a spot near the rear to connect the remote. Mine has a spot under the right rear wheel, all you have to do is buy an adapter to put over that spot and connect the hoses. It's a lot easier than running hoses from the FEL.

/ Help me understand Third Function Remote please
That is a good question, but I would still have to run hoses up to the FEL. This would be for a remote to the front end to operate other implements that require additional hydraulic feeds. I may not be understanding what you mean though. This is very new to me.

/ Help me understand Third Function Remote please #4  
Thanks TripleR, I watched all 3 videos and it really helped me understand how this works now.

A few questions, once this is installed, the third function operates using the 2 momentary switches and not the joystick movement, correct?
What is the power beyond hose for? You have a supply and a return and then a power beyond? I did not realize this.
My tractor does have a BH, so the power beyond hose would go from the FEL control valve, to the BH and from the BH connection would go back to the power distribution block.

So there is no actual lever for the third function, it is operated by momentary switches.

/ Help me understand Third Function Remote please #6  
Thanks TripleR, I watched all 3 videos and it really helped me understand how this works now.

A few questions, once this is installed, the third function operates using the 2 momentary switches and not the joystick movement, correct?
What is the power beyond hose for? You have a supply and a return and then a power beyond? I did not realize this.
My tractor does have a BH, so the power beyond hose would go from the FEL control valve, to the BH and from the BH connection would go back to the power distribution block.

So there is no actual lever for the third function, it is operated by momentary switches.

Yes, my joystick has a button below the handle you press to make the third function active, when it turns green you can use the momentary switches in the handle to open or close, so no movement of the lever is needed though you can if needed; I sometimes change the angle when going into a brush pile etc.

Sorry I don't know much about hydraulics and rely on J J and others for specifics.

That's ok, this really helped me understand things. I don't know why I had in my head that I needed to put another joystick in to handle the third function.

I emailed Messicks parts and they can sell me the Kubota kit for the third function for $899 plus shipping which is not much higher price than a non OEM unit. I think the non OEM kit is $850.

/ Help me understand Third Function Remote please #9  
What are you trying to control?

JJ, first off a Rock Hound, then maybe down the road a grapple bucket.