Problem starting TLB in the cold

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #1  

B21nut

Tractor
Kubota B21
Hey guys,
I've got a B21 and am having trouble starting it in the cold. I know I probably should replace my battery but what do you guys in cold environments do to help your tractor? Currently it stays outside, however I could plug it in, so I'm wondering if there is a heater sepcifically for the B21 or any other ideas.
Thanks
John D.

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #2  
They do have block heaters available for those. You also might just try keeping the battery warm with a small charger. At 32 your battery is at half it's full ability.

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #3  
Mine stays outside too.

All I do is keep the battery perfectly clean. I clean it with a baking soda & water paste. If any dirt gets on the top, voltage will leak between the terminals.

Agco-Allis diesel treatment is mixed with the fuel and the dirt was just cleaned out of the air filter before December. And there's 10w-30 oil in the oil pan.

This "winterizing" has been good for me when starting at -2 F.

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #4  
There's been a fair amount of chatter on this topic the last couple weeks. You might try a search with "cold", "start", or both if you haven't already tried that. Good luck!

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #5  
The biggest thing I can reccomend is using a good fuel conditioner. I use the Kubota branded one and have not had a fuel problem with starting as low as -20. Also suggest switching to a synthetic oil. The engine turns over easier with the synthetic.
Also, warm it up for 15 minutes prior to use. Sounds like it is a waste of fuel but from what I can gather it will reduce wear overall.
Just checked the temp and it is 13 degrees and dropping!

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #7  
My B21 encountered its first "first try" start failure a couple days ago when the overnight temp went down to minus 4F in the barn. I attributed it to not using the glow plug long enough. I warmed it for 20 seconds today [6F] and had no problem.
Last year I used Delvac 15W40. This November I changed to New Holland 10W30. The Delvac literature indicated that its 15W40 met the requirements for 10W. There may be some advantage to the synthetic oil.
Paul

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #8  
I installed the Kubota block heater (<font color="blue">see here</font>) on my B21.

It installs on left side of the engine block into a threaded plug. You will need a 17MM hex wrench to remove the plug and a 1 3/8" socket to install the heater.

It cost about $35 from Kubota.

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold
Well guys I'm of to buy a new battery. Fungus I'm really interested in the block heater you mentioned, too bad I don't have Adobe to open your file at home. I called my Kubota dealer and they did not mention this block heater option. They have the 180watt magnetic block heater, which they were out of. I would rather have what you are talking about. Let em know where you got yours and if there is a website where I can look it up. Thanks
John

/ Problem starting TLB in the cold #10  
It’s Kubota P/N 70000-73274 and is 400W. You can download the Adobe reader <font color="blue">Here</font> for free in order to view PDF files. The link I posted is for the instruction sheet that came with my block heater.

I would stay away from the magnetic heaters or other aftermarket ones that splice into the radiator hose. The Kubota unit screws right into the block and had a detachable cord. It cost a little more but is a clean design.

Kubota does not have any online information about this that I know of.