L3240 HST Propeller shaft leak

/ L3240 HST Propeller shaft leak #1  

rkettlewell

Tractor
Kubota L3240 HST
My 3240 leaks UDT from the split/condensation pin. It's negligible until the oil gets hot after a couple hours of work. I took it to the dealer (out of warrenty) and they changed the front 4x4 shaft seal and one of the wheel seals. They felt that was a common enough problem to diagnose it without looking any further. I questioned the mechanic on how my HST fluid level could drop a quart or two, not believing the fluid went all the way to and through the front axle. He assured me the leak was fixed and I may see a few residual drops from the split pin, but that was likely because "I over-greased the axle pivot". When I got home, I noticed the HST was still 2 qts. low. Went back and he offered to put 'dye' in the trans, but couldn't locate the dye-and simply left work without even telling anyone. I think I've read more posts on this than the dealer mechanic, and don't want to lose my tractor for 3 weeks again.

I will split the tractor myself in the next week or two, but in reviewing the threads posted here, SSB, Orangetalk and Google, I haven't been able to determine if anyone was 100% successful. All I found was 'seal chaffing on propeller', 'oil cooler hose tracking'. Can't find any service bulletins online either. Many of the threads are dated. I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone has any current info/ outcomes to add. Thanks for your help.

/ L3240 HST Propeller shaft leak #2  
The same thing happened to my L5740 the first year I had it, the dealer split it, replaced seals under warranty, the shop foreman said the replacement seals from Kubota were more robust than the originals and I haven't had any problems since. He said it was not a common occurrence, but apparently not an isolated incident; mine was the first they had done.